Old November 2nd 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Default Interesting page on coin metals

On Nov 2, 2:52*pm, "1787" wrote:
Padraic Brown wrote:
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:38:56 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

On Nov 1, 2:32?pm, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
In article
,

Jud wrote:

Paul Ciszek wrote:
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html

This page lists the various metals and alloys that have been used
for coinage, with examples. ?Also includes a few non-metals.
Can't vouch for the accuracy, but I found it a fun read.

Without doing the research myself, I can't vouch for the accuracy
either. However, having been a frequent visitor to Tony Clayon's
site, I would have to vouch for Tony and his work. Tony is a
frequent contributor to RCC

His mention of cardboard coins reminded me of something that used to
be in my family--I don't know where it is now: a bag of red
cardboard
tokens that I was told as a kid dated from the depression, and were
some sort of desparate substitute for money. ?The markings were
pressed
into the cardboard rather than printed, at least as I recall. ?Does
this ring a bell with anybody?

These sound like OPA red points, issued during World War II, not the
Depression. *They were used to make change for meat ration stamps.

There are also blue points and both went along with ration books. I've
seen 48 blue and 64 red points allotted per person per month.

As for Tony Clayton, if you see it on his site, you can pretty much
take it as gospel. He's one of our group's most knowledgeable. And if
he'd got something wrong, he'll correct.

Padraic
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

CW had a nice introductory article in an 8/2003 issue about these tokens.http://www.coinworld.com/News/081803/BW_0818.asp

W.- Hide quoted text -

I have a red 1 token from these pieces. I'm not sure if they are worth
anything or not.