Old June 16th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Query about frontispiece from old book

Annibale wrote:
CP Baudelaire wrote:
I know this is a shot in the dark, but---

Anyone have any idea what book this frontispiece may be from:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ade/skels1.jpg

It doesn't look so much like a frontispiece as it does like a vignette.
Possibly as TP vignette or a vignette on the last page of the book. I
am not familiar with it, though.

I do see something which looks like initials in the lowest form. That
might help you to identify the thing, with the name of the draftsman or
engraver.

I can't quite make out the initials, but it's possible they are HH -
which makes me think of Hans Holbien. He did "The Dance of Death" in
1538. The style is similar... although I'm not sure the image you have
is a woodcut; it's hard to tell.

Andrew Jr.
===
Andrew Cornwall