Old April 3rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Managing your book collection online

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
What I am doing is using Paradox for Windows, a Corel database program,
to create and link databases for authors and books. It is actually
fairly easy to use and allows you to filter and sort the database almost
any way you want to examine what you have. It is taking forever, but
that is because I am researching the biographies of each and every
author, and finding years of birth and death on some - even finding
years of birth on current well-known authors - sometimes takes a lot of
work.

Do you plan on making this information available publicly on a website or
anywhere else. I would appreciate this information for inclusion at
http://www.ibookdb.net/.

Just to let you know, ibookdb will initially be based on information from the
following sources:
1. the parchayi.net database (previous poster obviously did not do a proper
search or misspelled the authors while searching)
2. audible.com data feed
3. random house book database (i think that goes back to 1970 or so)

I hope to gather book descriptions from either amazon or BN. I'm not impressed
by the book descriptions available from Amazon so I'm hoping BN responds
quickly. At one point they agreed to let me have the data feed, however they
keep saying I need to have a price comparison for them to give it to me. I
offered a buy from BN link on every page, however that is not enough!

I think I would have maybe 12-15000 authors and maybe 90-12000 books listed.

I think for fiction you can gather author information from fantasticfiction.co.uk

SD
The fields in my "Authors" database, for instance, are Name,
Nationality, Year Born, Year Died, Main Genre, Comment. The comment
section might look something like this: "b Tientsin China d KeyWest FL
to US 1925 war novel" - that for John Hersey.

Francis A. Miniter

Willow Arune wrote:

An interesting idea, but when "Robert B. Parker" and "Patricia
Cornwell" are
returned as unknown, one has to entertain some reservations.

On the topic, for the book software out there, any comments on which
one is
best for a novice???

Willow

"SD" wrote in message