Old March 12th 04, 08:45 PM
Miles Carson

I don't see the point either of spending big for
ultrahigh grades of recent coins for Registry Set
"prestige." Completing a set just to complete it is a
yawn. To me it's history combined with beauty.

Extremely well-put. Turn-Key coin collecting?

"Get'em all in one call?"

"Buy'em today and salt them away?"

For what ... for the comfort of knowing you had them?

Where's the value in buying completed collections of anything you
didn't lovingly assemble on your own, or somehow being convinced that
coin collecting is all about a race to pay shameless prices to hoard
registered metal objects never intended for use as real money, or even
to be touched by human hands?

And for a long as the passion has lingered in the hearts of men,
doesn't it seem odd that NGC and PCGS (founded by the same party) are
callng all the shots after only 17 years in operation, and that Shop
At Home began airing the CON Vault at right about the same time?

I fact, I wonder if NGC monograms the replacement
knee-pads Robert Chambers works so hard to wear out?

I'll have to email and ask him sometime.