Old May 18th 10, 12:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sealladh58

Default Scanning Coins - What Scanner?

On May 17, 11:50*pm, "Michael Benveniste" wrote:
Have you tried using VueScan software with your current
scanner?http://www.hamrick.com/

I found that scanning coins with my older Epson 3170 is
decidedly hit or miss, especially for slabbed coins.
Here's a sample of the variation I see even from one side
of a coin to another:

Thanks for the information. I will certainly give the free trial a
go.

There are many techniques to try when scanning coins. I tried quite
few before hitting on my own setup and to some extent the type of
coins being scanned makes a difference. However, scanning slabbed
coins is always a problem as the plastic case deflects and reflects
light in an uncontrollable way. I avoid scanning those coins.

Peter