Old May 12th 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Default Scanning Coins - What Scanner?

If I were you I would buy a digital camera with a macro, close focus,
ability. Billy

"sealladh58" wrote in message
This is a question for the technical geeks out there. For very many
years now I have been using my scanner to take pictures of coins using
setups devised after many experiments. An example of one of my coins
can be found on http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=85135

I have been using an Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner that is still in
excellent working order. However, I have recently changed my computer
and found that the scanner cannot work on it as drivers are not
available for the Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium operating system.
There are drivers for the 32-bit version of Windows 7 but those will
not work with my scanner. It looks as though I will reluctantly have
to look for a replacement.

My question is what to go for. I seem to recall reading somewhere
that some of the newer models of scanners do not take as good pictures
of 3D objects such as coins. I thought there was a thread on this
discussion group on this very matter, but cannot seem to find it among
the archives on Google Groups. From my memory I think the critical
element was the light source used in scanners. The 1640 uses a cold
cathode fluorescent (CCF) lamp, but the lamps many modern scanners are
white LEDs. While these LEDs are quicker to warm up they have a short
depth of focus and are only really suitable for 2D objects like paper
or film. They also have a colder spectrum light than the CCF lamps.

Has anybody had experience of modern scanners on what, or what not, to
go for in respect of taking pictures of coins? I am not so interested
now in scanning 35mm films, I did all that years ago. I would welcome
hearing other people's opinions.

Peter