Old November 5th 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default War of 1812 coins

On Saturday, November 3, 2012 9:58:43 PM UTC-5, Frank Galikanokus wrote:
oly wrote: On Saturday, November 3, 2012 12:49:33 AM UTC-5, george pearl wrote: I thought that the US Mint would have seized the opportunity to issue 200 year anniversary commemorative coins for the War of 1812. I guess the war was fought as late as 1815 and achieved a stalemate. Still, I'm a little disappointed some crummy coins weren't issued. IMHO, this year's Star Spangled Banner Coins and the upcoming Fort McHenry National Park Quarter pretty much fill the bill. The War of 1812 is a critical, but quirky historical event that it is difficult for many present day Americans to understand. It might be nice to have a coin for the bicentennial of the Battle of New Orleans, but that might be a bit taboo (like it might be politially incorrect to have a coin for the Bicentennial of the Burning of the White House) since we were fighting our jolly British cousins and friends. My question is why we haven't seen a Grant and Lee silver dollar commemorating the U.S. Silver War - we are in the sesquicentenial era of that five-year event. oly Grant is a hero and Lee was a traitor. JAM

Well, O.K., I would be thrilled with a Civil War Sesquicentennial silver dollar coin featuring Grant and Sherman too, or Grant and Lincoln, or just U.S. Grant. However, General Sherman has never yet gotten his due on a U.S. Coin and he was a most effective military man. He should be remembered but perhaps not alone, along with Grant would be fitting.

oly