Old November 21st 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton

Default Sticking Hawid mounts

In a recent message wrote:

Hi A.J.,

basically it's cut, lick, stick.

I'm using the (black) mounts from Leuchtturm, because their black is
blacker than the one from Hawid:-)

Personally Hawid is black enough for me! I use the transparent variety
for very scarce used stamps so that they do not stand out from conventionally
mounted used stamps.

I further use a Hawid mount cutter (maximum mount height 160 mm).

I use a normal Trimmer which can also be used for A4 paper etc.
I arrange the perforations to be just under the edge of the plastic
holding strip thus getting a nice border matching the other side.
For stamps with a standard size I will cut the mounts to match
first.

I don't seal the top of the mounts and I had no problem so far with
stamps falling out, but I started my album maybe one year ago, so
stamps falling out may well be a long-term issue.

I have used mounts for many years and have no problem with
the stamps falling out. I did use another make with the seal at
the top as well but moving stamps (is the new one less heavily mounted?)
was a real pain, and you cannot modify the mount size for those
issues for which Hawid do not have the correct mount size.

For souvenir sheets I
use the (top and bottom sealed) sheet mounts which I cut using ruler
and sharp knife.

I use large transparent photo corners.

My albums are intended to be permanent, so I lick the mounts. I'm using
thick-paper (250 g/sqm) album pages. If you don't want to stick the
mounts permanently, I suggest using non-permanent glue (such as the one
used for 3M's post it).

I lick the mounts, and if I need to rearrange the page I use a new set
(they are not THAT expensive)

--
Tony Clayton

Coins of the UK :
http://www.coinsoftheuk.info
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... One way to better your lot is to do a lot better...