Old July 8th 03, 01:23 AM
LN in DC

UPU regulations were changed years ago to no longer prohibit
non-denominated stamps in international mail.

The USPS website has a page where it shows the nondenominated stamps
and their respective values.

The first A and B issues of the US were not valid in international
mail, but the USPS, through the Military Postal Services Agency in
Alexandria VA, made an arrangement with the German post office for the
Germans to recognize and accept nondenominated stamps on mail
addressed to German addresses, because the military post offices in
Germany had large stocks. The US concessionary international mail
rate from APO and FPO New York military post offices in western Europe
to western European CEPT/PostEurop countries is the current US
domestic rate - the Germans were seeing a lot of the "invalid" A and B
stamps.

Regards,

Len Nadybal

On 30 Jun 2003 20:41:25 GMT, unity (DBoyd001) wrote:

I believe (don't quote me please) that the UPU rules require a numeral
value on stamps used in international mail. I've known of instances where a
lettered stamp (you know... A, B, etc) have gone through the mail without
problems. That may go by the board as UK has E stamps for mail to the
continent (Therefore international). I'd say check with your postmaster, but
they may know less than your average contributer to this ng.

Dave
Use commemorative stamps on ALL your mail.
Introduce the hobby of collecting stamps to someone.
Above all, enjoy your hobby regardless of what you collect!