Old January 18th 12, 07:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

Default Rockola 440 Gripper and Magazine Motor Blowing Fuses

Robert, while having two defective motors may seem odd. The fact is
that they were both made by the same maker and frankly, cheaply, in
keeping with Rock-Ola's policy of simple machines that didn't cost a
lot.

The circuit involved is very simple: unfiltered DC feeding two brush
motors one at a time. If you can access a meter to actually read the
amps being consumed that will show what is going on.

It wouldn't hurt to open the motors and clean out all the carbon from
the brushes and use a small stiff brush to 'comb' out carbon from the
individual commutator segments (the steps the brushes ride on) but I
doubt that will make any significant difference.

Almost every R-O phono that I found had a larger fuse in the motor
supply and the reason as I repeatedly found was failing motors.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, there are plenty of motors
around.

Rob/NYC

I'll take a look at the ads and see if I can find the them. *In the
meantume, I'm going to try taking them apart and clean them out and
see what that does. *I've read that people have had success with doing
that. *Either motor, gripper or magazine blow the fuse. It's just kind
of odd that BOTH motors could fail at the same time.

Robert