Old March 18th 09, 10:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
bowcan

Default Next Mont Blanc?

"krishnananda" wrote in message
In article ,
"bowcan" wrote:

"Ed" wrote in message
I finally purchased a Mont Blanc after all these years of trying other
pens. In my opinion, it really is something special. I got the
Chopin model. Now I am thinking of getting another one later this
year. Any suggestions? I want to keep the price out of the
stratosphere, but would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars and
maybe up to 5 or 6 hundred.

Thanks-
Ed

Apologies if I tag along, but I too am considering a MB-- albeit a
'vintage' one.

Anyone know much about the 264? I like the looks of it because of nib &
screw on cap.

What I *don't* know is if these were made of celluloid or the dreaded
'precious resin' : 0 !

Also, I see quite a few 042G "Monte Rosa's" out there-- maybe too many.

Something about this model that would make collectors shy away from them?

thx

--Bruce

264: black resin with blue ink window, manufactured 1954 - 1959

"The Monte Rosa line appeared on the market in 1952 and was aimed at the
students. It was the company's intention to offer the younger customers
a low budget model as a started without weakening the main line"
from "Collectible Stars", p. 16

"Precious resin" is the subject of holy wars, so I won't comment on it.

--
om

Thanks for reply,

Got a phone call from a recognized vendor, but he'd sold the 264 I was
looking at on-line. Said he would be at a pen show this weekend so keeping
my fingers crossed that he finds another now that he knows I'm in the market
for one.

Do you (or anyone else) know how 'vintage' MB's write in fine point? Asked
dealer, how it would write compared to say a Parker-51 or Sheaffer of
similar time period. His reply was that Parkers had more of a 'ball' &
iridium & so might be smoother. He could 'tip' or 'smoothen' nib if I
wanted. Told him that wouldn't be necessary-- would want vintage nib 'as
is'.

He offered to sell a 344. (Paraphrasing) "Same looking pen, with screw on
cap-- only a little shorter - plastic body, but before the 'pr'
controversy."
The 344 was $100 less than the 264-- and dated from the late 1950's. I
declined not knowing enough about the model numbers.

Which leads to following question:

Anyone know of a reference site for MB model numbers & dates?

thx
--Bruce

PS: 'pr & holy wars'! Heh... Yes, I too am steering well clear of that
one... ; )