Old March 15th 04, 02:31 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On 15 Mar 2004 03:53:58 GMT, nowspam (TomDeLorey) is alleged
to have written:

Is there any evidence that it is the first coin struck, or is this just wishful
thinking (we'll not even suggest that the owner is trying to increase its
value).
All it seems to have going for it is a sharp strike. The way the screw presses
worked, I would expect that the first one struck would be somewhat average,
with the better strikes coming later once the press crew had worked up a good
rythym. Of course, even this is a guess. Nobody knows when this coin was struck
in sequence.
Tom DeLorey

I've looked at the coin person. It's perfectly centered, much better struck than
any other 1794. No cartwheel at all, which to me means it was struck very early
in the life of the die. It deserves the SP designation.

Was it the first? I'd bet not! Obviously a presentation strike, I'd bet they ran
at least 1 test coin to make sure the setup was proper.

But I wasn't there. Maybe we should ask Ira. :-)

Bruce

..
Subject: The first 1794 dollar?
From: "Jim and Lynn Lasher"

Date: 3/14/2004 9:34 PM Central Standard Time
Saw this on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/0....ap/index.html

Apologies if the link has already been posted.

-jim-