Old February 10th 12, 03:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default What is your opinion on coin / medallic / token covers?

On Feb 10, 7:57*am, "Bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Feb 10, 1:34 am, Toke Nørby wrote:

Jud wrote:

..snip

Being the obsessive/compulsive type of 'complete collection'
collector, I admit to having purchased some PNC's from Australia as it
was the ONLY way to obtain a certain coin. Since I did that a few
times, and the RAM has come out with a plethora of NCLT coins, I have
discontinued my mania and now only collect coins that circulate.

Thanks Jud - what does RAM and NCLT mean? - I guess that the last
means Never Circulated ?? (I'm a stamp collector- so just curious!).
Seems to be a business only trying to empty your pocket. Stamp
collectors have also obstructed to countries issuing stamps of high
and un-usefull face values - even this don't happen so often any more.
In old days FIP (our world organization) made lists of "unwanted
stamps" meaning that such stamps were not to be included in exhibits.
Mvh
Toke
--

Læs om "Skivearket" og "Skibsgrisens Flugt"
eller om Klasselotteriets inspektører 1753-2010:http://norbyhus.dk/

RAM means "Royal Australian Mint" and NCLT means "non-circulating
legal tender" (i.e., collectors-only coin issues which never end up in
people's pockets actually being used as money).

There are no living stamp collectors remaining here in America. *They
all committed suicide many years ago when the stupidity of their hobby
(finally) became apparent and they realized that they had lost over
85% of their invested money.

Collect gold and silver coins.

oly
------------------

Actually, I know of one local stamp collector who bundles 50-count
assortments of First Day Covers he saved from the 1940's and 50's and trades
a bundle for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. *One day he'll run out of those
FDC's and he'll have to drink instant coffee. *Or maybe he can get face
value somewhere for his blocks of four, or he can use them on envelopes
before the post office goes out of business.

When I inherited my father's thick US stamp album, his hobby from about 1915
through 1930, I asked a dealer if there were any valuable stamps in there..
He said no, that the stamps (from the 1860's on forward!) were cancelled and
had been hinged. *Well, excuuuuuse ME!! * *Imagine taking an inherited album
of large cents to a coin dealer and being told it is too bad that the coins
were circulated?- Hide quoted text -

Well let me be a name dropper here. There were a couple of summers
back in the early 1990s when I could count on seeing the great Clyde
Hubbard, Dean of Mexican numismatists, at the ANA Summer Seminar in
Colorado Springs. Some kids on the Colorado College campus asked
Clyde if he would act in a short film they were shooting, an
adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's short story "A Clean, Well-Lighted
Place". Clyde was to play the old man sitting in the cafe in the
story. The kids shot the film outside the college cafeteria about 11
PM at night, and I tagged along as Clyde's security.

To make a long story short, for filming purposes, the kids simply
asked Clyde to set at a cafe table and to look very very sad. Clyde
looked at me and said "Looking very very sad is easy. I just sit
there and think of all the poor old stamp collectors."

In the same filming session, Clyde told the kids that he had briefly
worked in the theatre in Baltimore about 1932 and he had known Scott
Fitzgerald at that time.

oly