Old December 23rd 03, 02:35 PM
Norm Clerman

As Mr. Adams notes, Paghat's observations are excellent, and I'd add so
are Mr. Kuenzig's. However, based on what's contained in all the
comments, one almost has to wonder that there are any used bookstores at
all; it seems such a losing business proposition.

Norm Clerman

John A. Stovall wrote:
I've bought collections in the past but now I have the opportunity to
by a book store in the town where I work. It is a general used
bookstore. The present owner a University professor (not at mine but
one 70 miles away) and his wife have run it for 7 years but only
opened it 3 days a week and closed it all summer. I don't plan to
quit my day job but have a wife to run it and the building is included
with the stock of some 40,000+ volumes (80/20 hb/pb). The store has
never listed on line.

What questions should I be asking and considering when thinking about
this possible purchase?

""Lord!" he said, "when you sell a man a book you don't
sell him twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue - you
sell him a whole new life....""

"Parnassus on Wheels"
by Christopher Morley