Old July 17th 05, 09:26 PM
Ira Stein

Honus wrote:
"Ira Stein" wrote in message
oups.com...

Willy P wrote:
I am wondering about the safety of coins, from a theft perpective, at a
local bank. I realize they do not insure against loss.

Has anyone ever heard of a situation where coins were stolen out of a
box at a bank. (I don't mean someone, like a family member, who takes
your key and steals something.)

There was a case in Seattle a number of years ago where someone managed to
break into a safe deposit box vault through the ceiling over a weekend, and
they cleaned out quite a few deposit boxes. I don't recall hearing that any
coins specifically were taken, but I do recall that some valuable baseball
cards were lost. That might help you if you want to search for info about
it. At any rate, if they got into any boxes then obviously they might have
gotten some coins.

I would like to believe this kind of action would be rare.

I would think so. YMMV.

Someone would have to blow the fonts off the baoxes after they gasined
entry to the bank's cvault...an unlikely scenario to be sure.One needs
two keys to gain access..and the bank only has one!

Honus writes:

All they need is a drill and some time. After all, when a customer loses
their keys the locks are drilled out by a bank employee. They sure don't use
C-4.

That's true, Honus. But first they have to get into the heavily
fortified vault and beyond a VERY sophisticated alarm system.

BTW, although you didn't post this, safe deposit books in hotels are a
joke. They are not in a fortified vault! Usually they are located a
room off the lobby near the front desk. My advice: Wanna be safe? Rent
a safe deposit box in a masonry-built bank NOT attached to other stores
in a strip plazs or Mall. Any incursions into the building are apt be
be spotted by sheriff or police patrols amd/or passersby.

Sure, companies selling coin insurance give a break in premiums if you
keep them in a bank vault. Know why? The chances of EVER having to pay
off on a claim are as remote as being struck by an elephant landing on
you from above.

I'm sure I'll hear from insurance brokers contradicting me here, but
they are often of a paranoid mindset about such risks. I ought to
know..I have 3 insurance broker friends who each own an agency and they
all say, "better to be safe than sorry" about almost everything.

Ira