Old June 4th 05, 03:39 AM
Jim Lloyd

Ben,

You have taken the first steps in becoming a stamp collector. Noticing that
different stamps ARE 'cool' is the beginning. If you like these stamps, you
might want to visit your local library and look at a couple of books about
stamps and collecting. For most collectors, stamp collecting isn't about all
those expensive stamps and getting all of the OLD stamps. Most of us collect
what we like.

As for which stamps are chosen for postal use, you'll probably find that
most collectors prefer to use commemoratives. Those are the larger stamps
like the ones you mentioned. They are always issued for only a short period
of time and always represent a person, event, or some other memorable thing.

Why do we like to use commemorative stamps for postage? I'm sure most if not
all collectors would agree with me that we do it to promote and support our
hobby. We promote the hobby by using commemorative stamps just so whoever
receives the mail might notice the stamp and have an interest in it. We
support the hobby by buying commemorative stamps instead of the common
stamps known as deffinitives. This lets the Postal Service know that we are
still here and that we appreciate their efforts in producing these tiny
works of art.

Again, if you had an interest in these stamps that you mentioned, follow
through with that interest. There is literally a whole world of interesting
stamps out there.