Old March 17th 07, 02:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Sonny

Default Water Resistant Brown Ink

I just read my last post. I somehow made no mention that the first part of
my test was to pour water on the inks. Bleach was the second part of the
test.

I was in the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia, California this afternoon. Fred
carries Noodler's, so wish I'd have thought of looking at Noodler's other
colors. Somehow, I wound up leaving with a bottle of Waterman South Sea
Blue. Maybe I'll take a look at the "Firefly" on my next trip down South.
It's a 300 mile round trip for me. So the experiment will have to wait
until I have more business down there. A bright red might be just the trick
to brighten up the Noodler's Eternal Brown.

Sonny

"Robert Wiersema" wrote in message
You could lighten the eternal brown with a bit of Noodler's Firefly.
Might be worth a shot...

"Sonny" wrote in message
My Noodler's Eternal Brown arrived today. The ink looks to be the color
of mud in the bottle. I did a little test myself. I wrote on the paper
that my business checks come on. The Pelikan faded a great deal, but did
remain visible. The Noodler's Eternal Brown remained unchanged; amazing!
For fun, I poured a weak bleach solution over the paper. The Pelikan
Brown vanished completely. The Noodler's still remained unchanged. The
down side is the appearance of the Noodler's. It is indeed brown. But
is appears more dull, and seems to bleed into the paper somewhat. The
Pelikan Brown is such a lively color. And the line remains thin without
any detectable bleeding.

For business checks, the decision is simple. Pelikan Brown can be
completely removed, and I just can't have that. So I'll use the
Noodler's for business, and the Pelikan for writing letters and writing
in my journal. I will be on the look out for another solution though.
Someone suggested mixing the inks. I do plan to try that. There may be
a nice compromise with a mixture of the Pelikan and the Noodler's. I'll
post the results when I get a chance to mix up a batch.

I am also in the process of looking into the inks suggested in Greg
Clark's torture test. Thank you for your comments!

Sonny

"j. fabian" wrote in message
In article ,
"Sonny" wrote:

I currently write with Pelikan Brown. It has become my standard for
taking
notes, and signing documents, checks contracts, etc. I recently
spilled
some water on notes that I was taking. I couldn't believe how badly
the
Pelikan brown washed out.

Interesting to note that in Greg Clark's water "torture tests" Pelikan
Brown rated only "Fair", the next to lowest rating. None of the brown
inks rated the highest, "Excellent". The following rated "Very Good",
the second highest rating:

Aldine Amber; Colorado Sepia Scented; Omas Sepia; Penman Mocha; Rotring
Sienna Brown; Visconti Sepia Brown. These are from the 1999 version of
Greg's "Fountain Pen Inks: A Sampler".

Here is his torture test:

"Each sheet of inks being tested was completely submerged in water and
agitated gently for five seconds. The pages were removed from the water
and allowed to drain for about ten seconds and then re-submerged. The
pages were submerged three or four times depending on how many dunkings
were required to have the ink samples stop obviously bleeding down the
paper."

Copyright (c) 1997, Gregory E. Clark, D.C.
Used in the spirit of Fair Use

jf

--
well, it looked good on paper