Old November 17th 04, 09:13 PM
Roger Smith

"Klaus Rampelmann" wrote in message
om...
Hello to all,

a collegue at work has a question :

he is collecting Australia. In september 2000 a series of 16 stamps
was issued portraying Australian gold medal winners. According to
catalogue there are two versions, one printed in offset, the other in
digital (whatever that may be). My collegue is not quite sure that his
dealer gave him the two different versions. He now wants to know what
details on these stamps will tell him whether it's the offset or
whether it's the digital version.

TIA

Klaus

Klaus, hello.

The printing on the digital sheets is much coarser, when viewed under a
magnifying glass, and shows the manner in which the colour patterns are
built up. The offset (litho) printings, on the other hand, provide a very
much cleaner impression.

Please see the attached scans which I have made of part of the Ian Thorpe
sheets. I hope that I have not classified these sheets the wrong way round
and that it is indeed the litho print which provides the better image.

I shall copy this message to the newsgroup without the attached scans, but I
am happy to email them to somebody who is prepared to post them on a server
for others to look at (combined size 320KB).

Best regards, Roger