Showing results 1 to 25 of 59
Search took 1.93 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: yawnmoth
Forum: Coins June 1st 11, 05:37 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 1
Posted By yawnmoth
identifying country of origin for a coin with a hole in it and a lionon it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31717414@N06/5787144820/in/photostream

The lion and the text make me think Ethiopia but closer examination
makes me think that it isn't. The lion isn't holding a spear...
Forum: Coins October 11th 10, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By yawnmoth
determining the date of Jamaican dollars

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!B4rRORg!mk~$%28KGrHqJ,!i4EydC+spbnBMqy6HI7Mg~~_12.JPG

That image says 1.2.93 in the bottom right corner. Does that mean the
bill was issued on January 2, 1993? If so that...
Forum: Coins August 31st 10, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By yawnmoth
identifying country of origin

On Aug 31, 3:06*pm, Peter Irwin wrote:
yawnmoth wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31717414@N06/4946124630/

Any ideas as to what country that bill...
Forum: Coins August 31st 10, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By yawnmoth
identifying country of origin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31717414@N06/4946124630/

Any ideas as to what country that bill is from?
Forum: Coins April 3rd 10, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By yawnmoth
which countries remove legal tender status from old currencies?

On Apr 3, 10:47*am, Peter wrote:
On Apr 3, 10:11*am, yawnmoth wrote:

It's my understanding that in the United States, even now obsolete
Forum: Coins April 3rd 10, 03:11 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By yawnmoth
which countries remove legal tender status from old currencies?

It's my understanding that in the United States, even now obsolete
bills, like the $500.00 Federal Reserve note, are still legal tender
even though they haven't been printed in decades. What about...
Forum: Coins February 10th 10, 11:51 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 10
Posted By yawnmoth
help with coin identification

On Feb 10, 1:07*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
yawnmoth wrote:
On Feb 9, 8:12 pm, yawnmoth wrote:
Forum: Coins February 10th 10, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 10
Posted By yawnmoth
help with coin identification

On Feb 9, 8:12*pm, yawnmoth wrote:
/photos/31717414@N06/4320977537/

The coin with the hole in it...
Forum: Coins February 10th 10, 02:12 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 10
Posted By yawnmoth
help with coin identification

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31717414@N06/4321711006/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31717414@N06/4320977537/

The coin with the hole in it is a five yen Japanese coin. There's
also a single Japanese...
Forum: Coins January 29th 10, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 11
Posted By yawnmoth
unable to identity a coin

On Jan 29, 1:54*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
yawnmoth wrote:
On Jan 28, 11:28 pm, Peter Irwin wrote:
yawnmoth wrote:
Forum: Coins January 29th 10, 06:09 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 11
Posted By yawnmoth
unable to identity a coin

On Jan 28, 11:28*pm, Peter Irwin wrote:
yawnmoth wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31717414@N06/4312414413/

Any ideas? *It's aluminum for whatever...
Forum: Coins January 29th 10, 04:04 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 11
Posted By yawnmoth
unable to identity a coin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31717414@N06/4312414413/

Any ideas? It's aluminum for whatever that's worth.
Forum: Coins January 17th 10, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By yawnmoth
identifying the country of origin

On Jan 17, 2:17*am, Ken Barr wrote:
In article
,

*yawnmoth wrote:
I have some...
Forum: Coins January 17th 10, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By yawnmoth
identifying the country of origin

I have some currency whose country of origin I'm trying to identify.
Here are the pictures:

Front: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31717414@N06/4280585080/
Back:...
Forum: Coins September 28th 09, 05:38 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 2
Posted By yawnmoth
off center italian lire?

http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/lire.jpg

The 2x bimetal 500 lire coins in that picture have the "Repubblica
Italiana" at different distances from the center. My question is...
is one an error coin?
Forum: Coins September 26th 09, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By yawnmoth
vatican city lire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_euro_coins#Circulating_Mintage_quantities

Vatican City euro coins minted for circulation are quite rare, per the
above. Indeed, it seems like the best way to...
Forum: Coins August 3rd 09, 11:56 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By yawnmoth
questions about euros

On Aug 2, 11:26*pm, oly wrote:
On Aug 2, 4:01*pm, "Arizona Coin Collector" wrote:

"yawnmoth" wrote in message

Forum: Coins August 2nd 09, 10:31 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 10
Posted By yawnmoth
Found in change

On Jul 31, 3:17*am, PC wrote:
Acquired from a Burger King purchase a new 2009 Lincoln Cent with the
formative years reverse. *It is shiny but has some black crud around
Forum: Coins August 2nd 09, 10:26 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By yawnmoth
questions about euros

On Aug 2, 8:48*pm, Peter wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:30*pm, yawnmoth wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_euro_coins#Circulating_Mintage_q...

Forum: Coins August 2nd 09, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 5
Posted By yawnmoth
questions about euros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_euro_coins#Circulating_Mintage_quantities

According to that, Vatican City euros have only been minted for
general circulation twice - in 2002 and 2008. Do these...
Forum: Coins January 2nd 09, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 8
Posted By yawnmoth
keeping pennies red

On Jan 1, 8:56*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Paul Ciszek wrote:
In article ,
Mr. Jaggers lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Forum: Coins January 1st 09, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 8
Posted By yawnmoth
keeping pennies red

On Jan 1, 2:37*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
yawnmoth wrote:
It seems to me that pennies turn red due to one of two possible
reasons - skin oil or oxidation. *If...
Forum: Coins January 1st 09, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 8
Posted By yawnmoth
keeping pennies red

It seems to me that pennies turn red due to one of two possible
reasons - skin oil or oxidation. If the former, just putting them in
a coin album or a ziploc bag or whatever should be sufficient to...
Forum: Coins December 29th 08, 11:01 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 27
Posted By yawnmoth
why aren't nickels in Silver Proof Sets 90% silver?

On Dec 27, 11:06*am, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
In article ,
Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

Both pure...
Forum: Coins December 26th 08, 11:09 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 27
Posted By yawnmoth
why aren't nickels in Silver Proof Sets 90% silver?

Looking at the informational sheet in the 2008 Silver Proof Set, I see
that the nickel consists of 25% nickel and balance copper, whereas all
the other silver colored coins consist of 90% silver and...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 59