Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jack Campin
Forum: Books September 23rd 16, 07:24 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By Jack Campin
how to decide if you really want it

This is a new one on me. Watching a customer in the shop who seemed
undecided about whether he was going to buy something or not (I think
it was a vintage Ordnance Survey map). He was standing in...
Forum: Books October 11th 15, 01:29 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By Jack Campin
Richard Ford Independence Day question

I have a 1st Ed. missing "with" on line 21 pg 289. My copy
also appears to have been bound with pages 377-392 missing.
Have any other collectors come across this same misbinding?

Are there...
Forum: Books June 6th 15, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By Jack Campin
That Time I Visited 17 Bookstores In One Day (link)

http://bookriot.com/2015/06/05/that-time-i-visited-17-bookstores-in-one-day
How many people reading this could do such a thing if they wanted to?

I think I could just about manage it in...
Forum: Books April 6th 14, 12:42 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Posted By Jack Campin
Another bookfair bites the dust?

I recently sent the same book back to Amazon twice, being unwilling
to accept a new paperback at a cost of $15 with the bottom of the
spine bashed in. (They shipped it to me in a padded...
Forum: Books February 14th 14, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 3
Posted By Jack Campin
New collector

Over the past 8 months, I have begun collecting first editions.
It all started when my in-laws handed me their John Grisham books.
I knew enough to check out the copyright page and it turns...
Forum: Books September 23rd 13, 01:24 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 3
Posted By Jack Campin
Encyclopedia Britannica

Cleaning out basement and found my deceased father's complete set of a
1954 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Would like to know if
there is any value to these books or not.
Forum: Books June 17th 13, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 12
Posted By Jack Campin
Just Found

A friend in Vancouver "dumpster dove" to retrieve a persian carpet
that the her landlord had tossed away after an eviction. Certainly
hand knotted, very short nap, and when folded weighs next...
Forum: Books May 4th 13, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By Jack Campin
Anyone got any F.W.Boreham's?

wrote:
I realize this is a very old post, but if you're still out there
I'd be very interested in those photocopy reprints!

Dunno who that was aimed at. Somewhere around...
Forum: Books March 8th 13, 08:29 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Posted By Jack Campin
Isaac Asimov... my humble collection

SpanishMill wrote:
Aside from the first three Foundation books, which rare and Extremely
Expensive, I've managed to acquire most of the Foundation...
Forum: Books December 21st 12, 12:51 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 3
Posted By Jack Campin
Bedbugs in Books

There have been growing number of reports of bedbug infestations
in library books.

What kind of library book has blood circulating through the flesh
of its...
Forum: Books October 23rd 12, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 38
Posted By Jack Campin
Salisbury's Library Book Sale

Like the time I found that someone had used a piece of bacon
as a bookmark in a library book???

Working in a second hand bookshop I enjoy looking at the things
people use as bookmarks. It's a...
Forum: Books October 16th 12, 12:54 AM Posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 38
Posted By Jack Campin
Salisbury's Library Book Sale

No, alcohol and books do not belong together any more than
drinking and driving. Libraries should stick to their mylar
book covers as cobblers should stick to their lasts.

There would be...
Forum: Books September 4th 12, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By Jack Campin
graphical genre codes

What do you call those collections of icons you get on the back covers
of some mass market books to inform the (illiterate) purchaser what kind
of book it is?

What is the intended point of...
Forum: Books March 16th 12, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By Jack Campin
murderers as book collectors

I work in a charity bookshop.

We used to have a regular customer called David Gilroy. I don't think
we'll be seeing much of him for a...
Forum: Books February 18th 12, 01:40 PM Posted to alt.books.mysteries,alt.marketplace.collectables,alt.book,rec.arts.books.childrens,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By Jack Campin
FA: British Hardy Boys books on eBay

I'm getting rid of all my British Hardy Boys books on eBay.

We've tried to sell those in our shop.

Nobody's interested at any price. We now send all of them for...
Forum: Books September 16th 11, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Posted By Jack Campin
A Fine Weekend at Library Book Sales

I went to three sales in all, starting Friday morning. I came
away with two real finds;

Dick Francis, Nerve (Harper & Row 1964) book club edition,
near fine (bookplate of former owner)...
Forum: Books August 3rd 11, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Posted By Jack Campin
Book Sale Find - North American History

the Jesuits in Canada were fanatical reporters, sending
annual Relations back to their superiors in France, telling
them everything that happened that year. While I have still
to come...
Showing results 1 to 17 of 17