Showing results 1 to 25 of 26
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: RS
Forum: Books November 26th 10, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Posted By RS
Anyone know how to remove paper on cloth-bound cover?

There is a 19th Century cloth-bound book that
has a thin strip of paper stuck to the cover. It
doesn't look like there is glue on it, just water
adhered the paper to it over a long period of...
Forum: Books July 23rd 10, 09:45 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By RS
Thick gold content of old fine book edges

I was looking over this old, very ornate leather book
and noticed how thick the gilding of the edges seemed.
From my experience with gold leaf, it comes in the form
of extremely thin sheets. It...
Forum: Books December 10th 09, 05:25 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 3
Posted By RS
Anyone know about Baker and Scribner, New York, in 1848?

Thanks. This question got me to finally break open my
Isiah Thomas "The History of Printing in America" in
two volumes. Turns out, it covers mostly before the 19th
Century, so most of the...
Forum: Books December 9th 09, 01:57 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 3
Posted By RS
Anyone know about Baker and Scribner, New York, in 1848?

I have a book here called, "The Peep of Day: or a Series of the
Earliest Religious Instruction the Infant Mind is Capable of
Receiving" It is published Baker and Scribner, of New York, in...
Forum: Books August 28th 09, 10:08 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By RS
Harper and Brothers verses Harper and Row

I have a book called "The Book of Indian Crafts and Indian Lore" by
Julian Harris Salomon. I believe I have
tracked it down to a later printing but it was an interesting
process. I notice some...
Forum: Books April 8th 09, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By RS
Mildred Mandeville turning 100 this June

Not sure how many people will know the name, but those that
do will be glad to know she will be celebrating her 100th birthday
this June.

She's known for putting together the Mandeville Guide, which...
Forum: Books February 1st 09, 10:01 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 16
Posted By RS
Any Booksellers doing class action law suits against eBay?

The problem is that new companies trying to fill eBay's shoes have to
advertise,
or have their sellers advertise. This is the biggest problems, not
getting the
amount of listings there to read over...
Forum: Books October 23rd 08, 02:19 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Posted By RS
Has the book discussion moved somewhere else?

Is there a more active rare book forum?

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

What do you think happens to book prices during a recession? What
about
a depression? Is there a somewhat objective criteria for knowledge
about this?
What about average price book values compared...
Forum: Books April 17th 08, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Posted By RS
Getting paint off leather books

An update:

NEVER RUB HARD A LEATHER BOOK!

Unless it has no dye whatsoever on it (which doesn't exist).

You always have to apply light to moderate pressure or else
that thin coating of dye will...
Forum: Books April 2nd 08, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Posted By RS
Getting paint off leather books

I have a volume one of the Franklin Library Shakespeare and it has
a tiny bit of paint. I tried a little of the neatsfoot oil/lanoin
cream
to loosen it but it's not quite there. Any...
Forum: Books December 19th 07, 08:52 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Posted By RS
Stick a fork in it

It's because we, like so many other newsgroups,
get these stupid flames.

It drives out intelligent posters.
--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue...
Forum: Books December 19th 07, 08:51 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 28
Posted By RS
Website for finding out what my books are worth

Seems like it could be a form of money laundering.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative...
Forum: Books October 17th 07, 07:11 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 14
Posted By RS
A substitute for Un-du?

The iron trick isn't always safe. You have to make
sure it's never very hot or paper will burn or plastic
will melt. I have no idea what the temperature is but
it doesn't have to be very hot. The...
Forum: Books October 17th 07, 05:56 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 14
Posted By RS
A substitute for Un-du?

The iron trick isn't always safe. You have to make
sure it's never very hot or paper will burn or plastic
will melt. I have no idea what the temperature is but
it doesn't have to be very hot. The...
Forum: Books October 13th 07, 01:18 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 11
Posted By RS
Free room dehumidifier trick

It wasn't "my idea" but it is one I have
been using to great benefit for a month now.

(It's a great pleasure to have to deal with the
worthless flamers without sinking to their level).

Why don't...
Forum: Books October 12th 07, 02:06 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 11
Posted By RS
Free room dehumidifier trick

On Oct 1, 5:55 am, RF wrote:
On Sep 30, 10:21 pm, RS wrote:

and it collects in the pans.

Where it will evaporate back into the room.
Forum: Books October 1st 07, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 11
Posted By RS
Free room dehumidifier trick

I heard about this way to get moisture out of the air that I wanted to
pass on. I've been doing
it for the last two weeks and it works great. Take one or two plastic
2 liter bottles (the kind
soda...
Forum: Books September 30th 07, 08:13 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 14
Posted By RS
A substitute for Un-du?

Many labels can be removed by using an iron on a warm-to-hot setting
and letting the adhesive get warm enough until it loosens.

Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software...
Forum: Books June 4th 07, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By RS
Signature of Erich Jantsch

Does anyone have an image of the signature of Erich Jantsch?

--

Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative...
Forum: Books May 11th 07, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By RS
Where is the best library search website?

I'm wondering what the best library search website is. That is, which
website will look to see what libraries have copies of books.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software...
Forum: Books April 11th 07, 02:54 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Posted By RS
Dr. Delmer Eugene Croft -- More Information?

For the record, and since I do not like "Spiritualists," he may have
actually been
a trained psychotherapist. I did find two other books by him that I
could buy,
and there are about 3 more...
Forum: Books April 6th 07, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Posted By RS
Dr. Delmer Eugene Croft -- More Information?

I guess now Usenet has more life to it these kinds of people
are to be expected.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue Press/Telical...
Forum: Books April 6th 07, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 4
Posted By RS
Dr. Delmer Eugene Croft -- More Information?

Does anyone have any more information on Dr. Delmer Eugene Croft of
New Haven, Connecticut? He wrote some positive thinking type booklets
around 1915-1922.

There is literally nothing about him I...
Forum: Books January 31st 07, 04:29 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By RS
Margaret Mead's signature

Does anyone have a scan of Margaret Mead's signature?