Showing results 1 to 25 of 66
Search took 0.11 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jack Campin - bogus address
Forum: Books August 17th 09, 10:56 PM Posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Looking for "Christian Endeavor Greeting"

In the "Christian Endeavor Manual" (copyright 1903) [...] it says:
It is also the custom of this society to present to each new
member a copy of this book, "The Christian Endeavor...
Forum: General August 16th 09, 09:37 AM Posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Need help identifying antique book

If this is my grandfather, his name is Willis Clifford Johnson, and he
was born in Brooklyn in 1897. He was still in Brooklyn in 1910 (age
13), sometime in the next 15 years he moved to...
Forum: General August 15th 09, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Need help identifying antique book

I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway.

I've inherited a photo that is probably my grandfather, we're guessing
he's about 10 years old so about 1907:
Forum: Books May 10th 09, 10:05 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Art in Book - photos

I have an exquisite book of french art. The art is in the form of "photos"
that are attached (glue?) to the pages of the book. These photos are of an
extremely high quality and show the...
Forum: Books March 4th 09, 11:50 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Story in 1968 Whole Earh Catalog"

I don't really trust my memory about things I read in the 60's but
I seem to remember a story in the Whole Earth Catalog from the same
period that was printed down the sides of the...
Forum: Books March 3rd 09, 08:40 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Story in 1968 Whole Earh Catalog"

I don't really trust my memory about things I read in the 60's but
I seem to remember a story in the Whole Earth Catalog from the same
period that was printed down the sides of the pages..I was...
Forum: Books September 21st 08, 10:06 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Bookcase Suggestions Needed

I will have a wall-to-wall bookcase made.

Its dimensions are 130"x84"x14".

I wonder whether you could let me know what kind of wood to use to
avoid sagging, i.e. maple, oak, etc.; what...
Forum: Books July 1st 08, 02:14 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
who was Armand Coppens?

I can't find anything on the web that identifies "Armand Coppens",
author of "Memoirs of an Erotic Bookseller".

Maurice Girodias having a bit of fun by including himself as a
character in the book? ...
Forum: Books May 26th 08, 10:48 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books,soc.libraries.talk,rec.arts.books
Replies: 17
Preserving books against mold?

I have a collection of several thousand books in a part of my
house that gets too humid in the summer time. The books
can get moldy.
I've dealt with that in the past with...
Forum: Books May 25th 08, 11:36 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books,soc.libraries.talk,rec.arts.books
Replies: 17
Preserving books against mold?

I have a collection of several thousand books in a part of my
house that gets too humid in the summer time. The books
can get moldy.

I've dealt with that in the past with...
Forum: Books April 7th 08, 11:08 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 2
The Boulez Mahler Cycle

Now that it is complete, I'd be curious to hear which recordings of
the Boulez Mahler cycle people feel to be worth getting? I already
have the #6 which I find to be one of the best 6's I've...
Forum: Books April 6th 08, 12:56 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Is this mold?

I bought today a clothe bound hardcover from Library of America. The
cloth is light blue and all around the bottom for about 1/4 of an inch
is a sligh discoloration. It looks lighter than the...
Forum: Books January 7th 08, 10:43 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
louis l'amour

my father has a large collection of louis l'amour books. i want to
say the entire collection, in very good condition, in brown
leatherette.
he wishes to sell this collection. neither of us...
Forum: Books December 19th 07, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 28
Website for finding out what my books are worth

I'm looking to sell them for as much as they're worth. Can
somebody tell me what a good website woulld be for this?
eBay. Start them at 99 cents. They will sell for as much as...
Forum: Books December 2nd 07, 01:23 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
uncollected Salinger and his ravening lawyers

This whole thing brings up the question if whether any individual
or business can be sued for selling any published book.
I can't say for a fact it has never been done, but it is very
Forum: Books November 28th 07, 10:45 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 14
Any good finds lately?

I got a copy of a cookbook dated 1848 for $10
One wonders what ingredients it uses that may no longer be available?

Probably none if you look hard enough and are prepared to spend enough.

Forum: Books November 23rd 07, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
uncollected Salinger and his ravening lawyers

Because Salinger didn't want this material republished, ever; he
has every legal right to prevent it; and he's a litigious SOB.
Can he legally prevent secondhand copies from...
Forum: Books November 17th 07, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 2
Points for "The Meaning of the Glorius Koran" George Allen and Unwin, Ltd

Looked at all the usual suspects and need some more information,
please.
Author, _Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall_
Title, _The Meaning of the Glorious Koran_
George Allen and Unwin, Ltd.
Forum: Books November 16th 07, 11:49 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
uncollected Salinger and his ravening lawyers

We (i.e. the charity shop I work for) have been given a copy of the
second printing of The Complete Uncollected Stories of J.D. Salinger.
Fine condition. Probably worth us sending it for...
Forum: Books November 11th 07, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 17
uncollected Salinger and his ravening lawyers

We (i.e. the charity shop I work for) have been given a copy of the
second printing of The Complete Uncollected Stories of J.D. Salinger.
Fine condition. Probably worth us sending it for auction (we...
Forum: Books October 17th 07, 09:59 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books,abg.mampf
Replies: 10
All books except the holy BIBLE are EVIL!!!

"foad" wrote:
Fans of irony take note: a mental health lame from a man who
had his penis surgically removed, having become convinced that
nature had placed it there by...
Forum: Books October 13th 07, 11:58 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 11
Free room dehumidifier trick

It wasn't "my idea" but it is one I have
been using to great benefit for a month now.

You're actually serious?

I use a dehumidifier in the garage. It collects a gallon of water
per week. How...
Forum: Books August 18th 07, 12:27 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Secondhand bookshops housed in unusual buildings

Which secondhand bookshop is housed in the most unusual/interesting
building?
I will start the ball rolling with Over-Sands Books, in Grange-Over-
Sands, North-West England. This is located...
Forum: Books July 31st 07, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 2
FS a very rare book on magic

You most likely will never see a magic book written on
a SCROLL ever again and thus why it is so collectible.

I made a scroll as a project in my high school Latin class.
There are probably...
Forum: Books July 6th 07, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 11
how determine the value (Josephus Flavius)

I am new to this group. I was wondering where on net I could at
least roughly determine the fair value of a book that has been kept
in my family for many years.
The book is "War of the Jews",...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 66