Showing results 1 to 25 of 93
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: J[_2_]
Forum: Books May 27th 13, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 12
Posted By J[_2_]
Just Found

On May 26, 2:25*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

One of my most surprising recent finds at a thrift store was this:

Hermes Trismegiste. Corpus Hermeticum *Quatre Tomes....
Forum: Books May 13th 13, 11:24 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By J[_2_]
D.C. bookshops?

Can anyone give me some hints? I'll be in Washington for a weekend
with friends, but expect to have some time when I can be shopping on
my own. I recall that there were some nice shops near Dupont...
Forum: Books April 22nd 13, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Posted By J[_2_]
Remainder Marks?

On Mar 11, 11:48*am, SpanishMill
wrote:

So, paperbacks sometimes came with dyed text block?

Oh yes. Yellow was quite common, IIRC, and even purple...
Forum: Books March 31st 13, 01:58 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Posted By J[_2_]
Binding on new books

I am also sad that the binding on new books seldom includes any cloth
these days. Instead we get carboard spines that are all too easily
dented and ruined...
Forum: Books March 26th 13, 10:58 PM Posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Posted By J[_2_]
Still More on the Book Auction

On Mar 25, 9:33*pm, IanG wrote:

Ahh, the thrill of the chase. You can't do this with a Kindle:)

There are fewer and fewer places you can do it, period. I went to the
Greenwich...
Forum: Books March 23rd 13, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Posted By J[_2_]
Still More on the Book Auction

Glad you're having fun!
Forum: Books March 9th 13, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Posted By J[_2_]
1st editions vs. collector editions

On Feb 24, 4:53*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

In fairness to the dust jacket concern, most people would pay a lot less
for a classic car, say a 1963 Cadillac Eldorado,...
Forum: Books March 9th 13, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 5
Posted By J[_2_]
Isaac Asimov... my humble collection

On Mar 8, 2:29*pm, Jack Campin wrote:

Four "Page Not Found" links.

They all opened for me...
Forum: Books December 23rd 12, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By J[_2_]
some old-time dealers

I recently visited the New York Society Library, which was having a
sale of unwanted and donated materials. I found one hardcover book I’d
wanted for a while, and browsed a cart of magazines,...
Forum: Books November 25th 12, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Posted By J[_2_]
Primo Levi, If This Is A Man

On Nov 22, 8:03*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

CDs don't have first editions, do they?

It might be harder to bring yourself to sell off your vinyl records,
e.g., a...
Forum: Books November 22nd 12, 03:02 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Posted By J[_2_]
Primo Levi, If This Is A Man

On Nov 6, 10:01*am, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

I have not been selling, but I am thinking about doing so. *I am
reaching retirement age and I have the example of my...
Forum: Books November 5th 12, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Posted By J[_2_]
Primo Levi, If This Is A Man

Do you ever resell, Francis? I only seems to read posts about goodies
added to your collection...
Forum: Books October 25th 12, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 38
Posted By J[_2_]
Salisbury's Library Book Sale

On Oct 24, 6:41*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

Whose bacon was it? *Maybe there is an association there that could make
the book valuable!

Shakespeare's, of course!
Forum: Books October 14th 12, 10:26 PM Posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Replies: 38
Posted By J[_2_]
Salisbury's Library Book Sale

On Oct 5, 11:24*pm, Pogonip wrote:

But why not a celebratory drink after making the book selections? *It's
also attractive for pairs, when only one is interested in the...
Forum: Books June 30th 12, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 0
Posted By J[_2_]
British Book Centre

Do any other New Yorkers remember this shop, which was--back in the
day--about the only way to get British titles here in the U.S.?

When I first encountered them, they were on or near Lexington...
Forum: Books May 20th 12, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.mystery
Replies: 2
Posted By J[_2_]
Library sale

Yesterday I went to the Library sale in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. I'd
gone to this event a few years ago, and not done especially well, but
I thought I'd give it another try. This time I came away...
Forum: Books February 25th 12, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By J[_2_]
John D. MacDonald, The Deep Blue Good-By

A lot of MacDonald's books were not issued in hardcover until he was
taken up by the British publisher Robert Hale. (I can imagine what a
full run of the Hale editions of the Travis McGee series...
Forum: Books January 30th 12, 11:42 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 1
Posted By J[_2_]
BOMC book that is not a book club edition

On Jan 22, 12:10*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

Has anyone else come across publications by BOMC?

I have a nice little paperback, CARING FOR YOUR BOOKS, by none...
Forum: Books November 6th 11, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Posted By J[_2_]
Long Island Book Fair: New Location

Well, I went after all. I sat down and calculated the times involved,
and I thought they might not be as bad as the online sources
suggested. (Going took just over two hours; coming home was faster.)...
Forum: Books November 3rd 11, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Posted By J[_2_]
Long Island Book Fair: New Location

On Oct 27, 7:52*pm, "Jean B." wrote:

Wow! *It sounds like they may miss many people who attended in the
past. *For your sake, I hope they reconsider the location after
the...
Forum: Books October 27th 11, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Posted By J[_2_]
Long Island Book Fair: New Location

On Oct 26, 12:05*pm, "Jean B." wrote:

This must be book fair season. *Boston has an antiquarian book
fair the next weekend (the 11th-13th, IIRC), and there is another
Forum: Books October 24th 11, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 6
Posted By J[_2_]
Long Island Book Fair: New Location

The LIABDA Fall Fair, Saturday and Sunday, November 5-6, 2011, will be
held at Hofstra University's Student Center. Saturday: 11 a.m. - 6
p.m. Sunday: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

• Presented by the Antiquarian...
Forum: Books October 15th 11, 05:55 AM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Posted By J[_2_]
Finds at Goodwill

On Oct 15, 12:42*am, (ellen ford) wrote:

Does anyone ever find anything at the Salvation army stores? *I never
have and I'm convinced that we "civilians" never get to see...
Forum: Books October 7th 11, 09:21 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Posted By J[_2_]
Finds at Goodwill

You have something there! g
Forum: Books October 2nd 11, 01:45 PM Posted to rec.collecting.books
Replies: 8
Posted By J[_2_]
Finds at Goodwill

On Sep 28, 10:55*pm, Joe Mc wrote:
The Odessa file by Frederick Forsyth hb dj first edition 1972 viking
press
The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon Riverhead books...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 93