Showing results 1 to 25 of 418
Search took 9.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Tony Clayton[_2_]
Forum: General Discussion September 22nd 13, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
hinges

On 18/09/2013 15:28, Pedro wrote:

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:35:57 +0100, Tony Clayton
Forum: General Discussion September 18th 13, 12:30 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
hinges

On 09/09/2013 21:36, Colin McKenzie wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:35:57 +0100, Tony Clayton
wrote:
On 05/09/2013 23:41, Pedro wrote:
Hello friends,
I've...
Forum: General Discussion September 8th 13, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
hinges

On 05/09/2013 23:41, Pedro wrote:

"Pedro" wrote in message ...

Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
Forum: General Discussion August 24th 13, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 30
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
What do you collect?

On 24/08/2013 21:03, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 8/24/2013 3:13 PM, Tony Clayton wrote:

I am really just starting the latter, and a few days ago was delighted
to find a used copy of the '35...
Forum: General Discussion August 24th 13, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 30
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
What do you collect?

On 18/08/2012 14:49, Victor Manta wrote:
In the past we run several times postings with the subject: What do
you collect? This way we could learn more about the philatelic
interests of the...
Forum: Coins June 5th 13, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 12
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
To those who have ruined red.collecting.coins

On 01/05/2013 09:27, OMB wrote:

"Steve Spradlin" wrote in message
What is the obsession...
Forum: General Discussion July 6th 12, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 6
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Good evening everybody!

On 11/06/2012 18:03, gogu wrote:
? "Sir F.A. Rien" ?????? ??? ??????
So I'd like to ask you, what do you think is the best...
Forum: General Discussion April 30th 12, 01:46 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Miniature Sheet...MNH or not MNH?...

As a general rule CTO sheets are worth less than postally used and mint
unfranked.

Most (but not all) collectors consider postal use important, or at least
properly cancelled in the normal manner...
Forum: Coins February 27th 12, 01:33 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 35
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Peru Says Spain Stole their Gold

On 25/02/2012 19:23, beekeep wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:37:23 -0500, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:

Edwin Johnston wrote:
On 2/25/2012 8:44 AM, Jud...
Forum: General Discussion December 14th 11, 11:14 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 1
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Italian issues of 1863

There are two types of the 15 centesimi stamp issued in 1853
by Italy.

The stamps have extensive flaws which enable many
of Type I and the majority of Type II to be plated.

I have now acquired a...
Forum: Coins September 27th 11, 11:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 10
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Victoria Jubilee head gold sovereign

Peter wrote:

Offhand, when the clock strikes 13, not only is the correct time in
question, but everything that went before, as well.

Um - there are clocks that strike 13 at one o'clock. That...
Forum: General Discussion September 1st 11, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 20
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
scanning watermarks

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
"Tony Clayton" found these unused words:

As we always look at watermarks from the back of the stamp I am
puzzled as to why some catalogues...
Forum: General Discussion September 1st 11, 11:14 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Watermark detectors

wrote:
I would like to study the watermarks of a lot of stamps. Is there a
"non-liquid" watermark detector I can use? I have seen other
collectors at stamp shows squeeze stamps...
Forum: Coins August 26th 11, 12:51 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 4
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
PCGS certifies fake 1804 Dollar in "Genuine" slab

B.J. wrote:
On Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:59:05 AM UTC-4, oly wrote:

Methinks that this is well within the rules of the game & hardly
deceptive.

Not as deceptive as your topic...
Forum: General Discussion August 26th 11, 08:56 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 20
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
scanning watermarks

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
"Pedro" found these unused words:

hello all,
I'm trying to get a decent digital image of a watermark with my
scanner. My method is still not...
Forum: General Discussion July 31st 11, 07:31 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 0
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
More Italian area varieties

I have added some more images to www.italianstamps.co.uk

A rare variety of the 1954 Pinocchio issue can be seen at

www.italianstamps.co.uk/republic/pinocchio/index.html

while several extra Eritrea...
Forum: General Discussion June 27th 11, 11:23 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Albums for other than US stamps

My suggestion would be to get a stockbook or three while the collection is
developed, and then get a loose-leaf album
when you have sufficient to start mounting and writing up.

All my serious...
Forum: General Discussion June 23rd 11, 10:46 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Italian stamp wanted:

rod222 wrote:
You winking at me ! :)

Hope you have Clark Kent's eyesight....

http://cjoint.com/11jn/AFxdP2X6kTf.htm

"bc92" wrote in message
Forum: General Discussion June 9th 11, 01:25 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 17
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Removing hinges

For my main Italy collection all mint stamps are mounted in Hawid mounts
with black backing, even if mounted already.
I have one quite expensive stamp that has once been mounted, with an attempt
to...
Forum: General Discussion June 7th 11, 01:43 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Maltese Cross cancels ?

Nick Bridgwater wrote:
Is there a book/catalogue that would tell me which towns in Somerset
employed a Maltese Cross cancel ?

Possibly, but I do not know of it.

Would I be right in thinking...
Forum: General Discussion June 7th 11, 01:41 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Isle of Man Stamps

wrote:
How would you rate the quality of the stamps sold the Isle of Man Post
Office's Stamps and Coins website?

http://www.iompostoffice.com/stamps/

Personally, not...
Forum: General Discussion June 4th 11, 02:28 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Warning (was My favorite stamp sold!)

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Toke Nørby found these unused words:

Toke Nørby wrote:

Terry Reedy wrote:
..snip
Forum: General Discussion June 4th 11, 02:24 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
What's the English word for "efterporto"?

Billns wrote:
On 5/26/2011 12:54 PM, Toke Nørby wrote:
Don wrote:

On 5/26/2011 13:55, Toke Nørby wrote:
Efterporto (sometimes called strafporto) is the...
Forum: Coins April 28th 11, 12:27 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Website Milestone

The original was sent to this group in error! Apologies.

Tony Clayton

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message...
Forum: Coins April 27th 11, 12:57 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By Tony Clayton[_2_]
Spink number?

In a recent message Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On 4/25/2011 11:31 PM, oly wrote:
isn't the same book as the (say) the 2006 edition.

2006 ... a very good year.

It...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 418