Showing results 1 to 25 of 32
Search took 0.05 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Don Levey
Forum: General Discussion January 27th 13, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By Don Levey
First US global forever stamp, and Inverted Jenny SS

On 1/27/2013 10:57, Sir F.A. Rien wrote:
Indeed - I just sent out 60 invitations including heavy card stock for
the invitation itself and the response card, the response envelope, and
an...
Forum: General Discussion January 26th 13, 11:50 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By Don Levey
First US global forever stamp, and Inverted Jenny SS

On 1/26/2013 17:32, Bill Sharpe wrote:
Sir F.A. Rien wrote in
:

The new international letter rate eliminated the lower...
Forum: General Discussion August 20th 12, 01:32 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 30
Posted By Don Levey
What do you collect?

On 8/18/2012 09:49, Victor Manta wrote:
In the past we run several times postings with the subject: What do you
collect? This way we could learn more about the philatelic interests of
the...
Forum: General Discussion July 17th 12, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By Don Levey
The importance of Stamp Shops

On 7/16/2012 17:12, Billns wrote:
On 7/16/2012 1:54 AM, Postal Pursuits wrote:
I have only just joined the group and I am one of the few new
Stamp Shops to open in a High Street location in...
Forum: General Discussion October 19th 11, 03:20 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Don Levey
solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/18/2011 21:28, Pierre COURTIADE wrote:

.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".

Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is...
Forum: General Discussion October 16th 11, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Don Levey
solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/16/2011 11:54, Toke Nørby wrote:

That was a splendid advice :-)
but I found a perfect method - I can only talk for the new Danish
stamps, though.

No water. Nothing but your...
Forum: General Discussion August 15th 11, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 7
Posted By Don Levey
Sticker collecting? Was: USPS news...

On 8/13/2011 03:43, Victor Manta wrote:

Maybe a third beer had changed your mood.

It usually does... :-)

More seriously, I don't see a problem with children playing with stickers,
in...
Forum: General Discussion August 12th 11, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 7
Posted By Don Levey
Sticker collecting? Was: USPS news...

On 8/12/2011 09:23, Victor Manta wrote:

This, of course, doesn't take into account the long time perspective of
stamp collecting. In French they say that too many taxes kill the taxation;...
Forum: General Discussion August 12th 11, 01:28 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 7
Posted By Don Levey
USPS news...

On 8/12/2011 04:16, Victor Manta wrote:

More news:

(AP) WASHINGTON - The financially strapped U.S. Postal Service is
considering cutting as many as 120,000 jobs.

Facing a second...
Forum: General Discussion May 26th 11, 07:29 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Don Levey
What's the English word for "efterporto"?

On 5/26/2011 13:55, Toke Nørby wrote:
Efterporto (sometimes called strafporto) is the Danish word for what
the reciever must pay when you have sent him a letter with
insufficient postage and he...
Forum: General Discussion April 22nd 11, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 18
Posted By Don Levey
Mystic Stamp Co.

On 4/22/2011 10:42, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Don Levey found these unused words:

I would be interested in information about other on-line vendors of US
stamps,...
Forum: General Discussion April 21st 11, 05:03 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 18
Posted By Don Levey
Mystic Stamp Co.

On 4/21/2011 11:40, Blair (TC) wrote:
On Apr 21, 10:03 am, "Beanie" wrote:
I sent away for the Mystic color catalog of US stamps recently.
It arrived along with some old used US...
Forum: General Discussion October 27th 10, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Don Levey
Meta-question

On 10/27/2010 11:58, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Is there a question questioning questions? G

I don't know if I can answer that... :-)
-Don
Forum: General Discussion October 26th 10, 06:27 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Don Levey
Meta-question

On 10/26/2010 13:19, Tony Clayton wrote:
I am fascinated as to the difference between a meta-question and a
question.

Besides 'Paper for ...' would be more informative :-)

Well, I...
Forum: General Discussion October 20th 10, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Don Levey
Meta-question

On 10/19/2010 19:43, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Don Levey found these unused words:

It's the color that is puzzling me, as we're talking about 130-140 years
ago. ...
Forum: General Discussion October 19th 10, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Don Levey
Meta-question

On 10/15/2010 18:14, Tony Clayton wrote:
In a recent message Don Levey wrote:

Given the rather low traffic in the group, I've not had many cues from
which to pick...
Forum: General Discussion October 14th 10, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Don Levey
Meta-question

Given the rather low traffic in the group, I've not had many cues from
which to pick up the customs of the groups, so I'll ask:
Is it appropriate to ask specific questions about certain stamps, or...
Forum: General Discussion September 3rd 10, 02:19 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 27
Posted By Don Levey
Collection software

On 9/3/2010 09:14, rod allan wrote:
Great. May I bid you a fine journey Don,
enjoy your database, in the end having fun is the aim.
Enjoy your stamp collecting.

Rod, thank you - I...
Forum: General Discussion September 3rd 10, 02:11 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 27
Posted By Don Levey
Collection software

On 9/3/2010 09:05, rod allan wrote:
"Don Levey"
For each one, no. But that's a LOT of data entry to do for the
thousands of stamps you *don't* have, especially when compiling images.

Forum: General Discussion September 3rd 10, 01:56 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 27
Posted By Don Levey
Collection software

On 9/3/2010 08:41, rod allan wrote:
"Don Levey"

I'm not understanding this. Are you saying that you've got a file for
*every* stamp in the catalog, with the filename denoting whether...
Forum: General Discussion September 2nd 10, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 27
Posted By Don Levey
Collection software

On 9/1/2010 07:39, Victor Manta wrote:
"rod allan" wrote in message
You are considering a sledgehammer to crack a...
Forum: General Discussion September 2nd 10, 06:39 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 27
Posted By Don Levey
Collection software

On 9/1/2010 03:30, rod allan wrote:
You are considering a sledgehammer to crack a nut,
Just use images and use Windows explorer as the database.

Your way will end up spending more time...
Forum: General Discussion September 1st 10, 02:20 AM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 27
Posted By Don Levey
Collection software

On 8/31/2010 20:15, Billns wrote:
On 8/31/2010 3:09 PM, Don Levey wrote:
On 8/31/2010 18:00, Billns wrote:
... I could go on but the short answer is really no, you can't
easily integrate...
Forum: General Discussion August 31st 10, 11:09 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 27
Posted By Don Levey
Collection software

On 8/31/2010 18:00, Billns wrote:
I could go on but the short answer is really no, you can't easily
integrate Base into php with ODBC.

Bill,
Thanks for that - it looks like the...
Forum: General Discussion August 31st 10, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 27
Posted By Don Levey
Collection software

On 8/31/2010 16:23, Billns wrote:

Don
If you're going to use a MySQL database you might want to look at the
Base component of OpenOffice.

Bill,
I'll admit that I'm not that familiar with...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 32