Showing results 1 to 25 of 34
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Sir F.A. Rien
Forum: General Discussion August 24th 12, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 30
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
What do you collect?

After that 2d step, I will surely invest in a set of Brusden-Whites
or in one or 2 volumes to begin.
Which volumes would you suggest to acquire first ?
Get what you can - I have the single loose...
Forum: General Discussion August 21st 12, 03:44 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 30
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
What do you collect?

I also began sorting out a "shoe box" of about 8,000 stamps from
Australia that I bought 10 years ago. It took me nearly 2 months to
nearly complete the job.
If you are interested in minutae,...
Forum: General Discussion August 18th 12, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Overproduction of stamps

This waste of stamps should be reduced in 2011 and future years as USPS
now releases virtually all first class one-ounce stamps in "Forever"
format. Customers don't want to buy 44-cent stamps...
Forum: General Discussion July 16th 12, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
The importance of Stamp Shops

Thomas--welcome. It is nice to have new points of view. For those of us to whom "High Street" has no meaning, please explain the reference.
"high street" = main business street in town.
King's...
Forum: General Discussion July 7th 12, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 6
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Good evening everybody!

Sassone is much the best Italian area catalogue, in my opinion. The others
you mention are not so detailed

Thanks Tony but your answer comes a little late, yesterday I ordered the...
Forum: General Discussion July 6th 12, 05:05 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Best software for archiving stamps.

With a scan record you don't have to mark the back of the stamp as
much. With software you can embed the description into the image
encoding [not visible - but as EXIF data]

I'm sure...
Forum: General Discussion July 5th 12, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Best software for archiving stamps.

The only reason for scanning stamps that I own would be if I wanted to
sell them. Stamp images in a printed or online catalog, though, are
sometimes very helpful when trying to determine what...
Forum: General Discussion July 2nd 12, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 11
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Best software for archiving stamps.

With today's market you should ignore anything under $25 as it won't
be 'counted' should you sell the collection.

If you're listing for a 'have' vs 'need', then log everything, but
make sure that...
Forum: General Discussion June 28th 12, 04:41 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
One press sheet US Baseball sold out before issue date

Yet another example of the USPS return to 'special favour' production
for $$$!
There were a couple letters in Linn's this week protesting the sale of
these uncut sheets. No one is forced to...
Forum: General Discussion June 28th 12, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
One press sheet US Baseball sold out before issue date

If these are the actual press sheets, rather than something specially
printed for collectors, then the collectors are preserving what could be
considered historical artifacts ;-).

Are you even...
Forum: General Discussion June 26th 12, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 10
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
One press sheet US Baseball sold out before issue date

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:38:59 -0400, Terry Reedy
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

On 6/25/2012 4:27 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
One uncut 120-stamps press sheet of US Major League...
Forum: General Discussion June 11th 12, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 6
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Good evening everybody!

So I'd like to ask you, what do you think is the best catalogue to buy?
http://www.vaticanphilately.org/rs.htm
See near the end about books on Vatican Philately.
Forum: General Discussion May 27th 12, 03:57 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 4
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
USPS offers buyouts to 45K employees

In addition to the reduction in staffing, the USPS is also trimming
the small rural POs. Our PO will only operate 4 hours a day, five days
a week. Thus it will no longer have a postmaster and...
Forum: General Discussion May 4th 12, 05:55 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Identifying a british postmark

"British Postmarks - A Short History & Guide" - Alcock & Holland

Thank you for the information.
I'm going to try to find this book...

Not everything is covered. It's the 'basic' reference...
Forum: General Discussion April 30th 12, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Identifying a british postmark

I've got 2 wrappers
http://cjoint.com/?0DDqcH9eBud
Alcock & Holland Type 1559
Foreign Section, Newspaper cancel

http://cjoint.com/?0DDqdtxCaw3
I think it's an Inland section Newspaper - but I...
Forum: General Discussion April 29th 12, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Miniature Sheet...MNH or not MNH?...

'Mint' is 'as issued' - so the 'pre-cancel' or 'Cancelled to Order' is
a variant, though most prefer to place the CTO well below 'postally
used'.

Thanks!
So if for many, the CTO are...
Forum: General Discussion April 27th 12, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 12
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Miniature Sheet...MNH or not MNH?...

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:27:52 +0300, "gogu"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

There is a seller advertising a Mini Sheet which comprises 6 stamps in it.
In the item description he...
Forum: General Discussion April 25th 12, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 9
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Separation of scanned images of several stamps

Photoshop does the job in one step rather than two, but as you points
out it is expensive. I have also tried separating images with Photoshop
Elements, a cheaper stripped-down version of...
Forum: General Discussion April 12th 12, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 9
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
storing stamps

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:27:20 +0200, "Pedro"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

Hello friends,
Which is the best way to store thousands of duplicate stamps?, let's say...
Forum: General Discussion April 11th 12, 04:15 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Common Mistakes for Stamp Collectors to Avoid -article

I personally love stamps produced by engraving methods. I suppose that the
only way to collect QE LE stamps is acquiring them in auctions or
stamp-shops as they must be very valuable. Correct me...
Forum: General Discussion April 10th 12, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 3
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Common Mistakes for Stamp Collectors to Avoid -article

Took me three 'collections' before I 'found' the GB LE period and its
complexities.

Good hunting!

Excuse my ignorance. What does LE stands for?

"Line Engraved" One of the three major...
Forum: General Discussion April 3rd 12, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 18
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Evaluation of Philatelic Websites Revisited

On 4/1/2012 11:29 PM, Victor Manta wrote:

http://www.pwmo.org/IPHLA/12-evaluation-websites.htm

Your feedback is welcomed.

Interesting that you write about yourself in the third...
Forum: General Discussion April 3rd 12, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 18
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Evaluation of Philatelic Websites Revisited

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 22:32:26 -0400, Terry Reedy
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

With Javascript on, there is a floating "Front page .... Exhibitions"
bar which bobs up and down...
Forum: General Discussion March 24th 12, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 2
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
Help needed to identify this Straits Settlements stamp

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:31:10 -0700 (PDT), Philatasaur
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

I have a few of these stamps, with what appears to be St John
Ambulance hand stamps...
Forum: General Discussion March 17th 12, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Replies: 5
Posted By Sir F.A. Rien
stamp counterfeits

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 01:33:41 -0400, Terry Reedy
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

Ungummed probably means that the stamp was glued down in an album (by a
naive collector, extreme...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 34