Showing results 1 to 25 of 39
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Forum: Coins November 3rd 17, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 18
Posted By [email protected]
Any oldtimers around?

Not certain if I am in the 'old timers' club. Look in a couple of times per year. All I see are people trying to sell Charles & Diana copper-nickel crowns for thirty-five dollars apiece. Worth...
Forum: Coins May 18th 17, 10:48 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 41
Posted By [email protected]
1981 "H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales And Lady Diana Spencer" coin

My fingers slipped when typing the denomination earlier. I didn't bother to change it because anybody who thinks the Charles-Diana copper-nickel coin has any substantial value isn't the type of...
Forum: Coins May 2nd 16, 12:31 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 41
Posted By [email protected]
1981 "H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales And Lady Diana Spencer" coin

There were 26,773,000 U.K. Royal Wedding Coins struck in copper-nickel and 218,000 struck in silver. If you have a silver proof in perfect condition with the Royal Mint original packaging and...
Forum: Coins March 10th 16, 04:23 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
What are your thought?

You should expect the price of the new gold Mercury dime to be at least 50% above melt. Based on $1250 spot gold, something like $180 plus $4.95 postage, probably more.

oly
Forum: Coins December 6th 15, 02:04 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Nebuchadnezzar/Saddam Hussein Coin

The Krause Standard Catalogs include coins but not medals. These pieces appear to be modern medals (coin-like objects but without a monetary denomination).

Accordingly, the Standard Caralogs won't...
Forum: Coins April 16th 15, 11:31 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
Silver Rupees recovered (but perhaps melted)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/15/europe/world-war-ii-shipwreck-silver-recovered/index.html

It appears that older 0.9170 fine rupees were being pulled out (from 1939, the rupees were struck in 0.500...
Forum: Coins April 16th 15, 06:11 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
Silver Rupees recovered (but perhaps melted)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32316599

Somebody should post this to a more active newsgroup...

Oly
Forum: Coins March 31st 15, 10:38 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
Hello????

Over at PCGS forum, they're frequently posting (and "discussing") thirty dollar coins in the U.S. Forum and they're routinely posting (and "discussing") coins that are worth less the one dollar in...
Forum: Coins February 25th 15, 08:12 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Melting Coins

Bleech!!! Pharphunnugle.

Oly
Forum: Coins February 24th 15, 08:33 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Melting Coins

Derp. Farnoggle sniffle per diexable zoom, libble varnexium biffle cinq. Tribble nyet, snibble piffle. Double derp. Capri more wrong than correct too, sniffle.

Oly
Forum: Coins January 14th 15, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
WTB: "Hand pulled proof" souvenir cards at FUN show

Going to ANA (or any big show) is all about cash flow. 2013 was flush, 2014 was bust (did not attend). I hang out at TEC (elongated coins) table or maybe at Chicago Coin Club table after I've made...
Forum: Coins November 3rd 14, 01:35 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

I'll write long this time. My bad.

Me, I'm working from a personal point of reference in 1977 - 1981. Books are essential, dictionaries are essential (and encyclopedias too - I have a 1911...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 14, 09:22 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

Something really bad happen to you in 1993? Not that I'm offering any condolences or anything.

I know some people who lost significant money in the bond market around mid-year 1993 (what had been a...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 14, 09:00 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

Oh no, your posts need those long words so they can exhibit the lengthy pomposity which you always exude here.

And you've got to keep making those short and less than accurate answers to the...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 14, 07:58 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

And BTW, the Red Book still establishes what it accepted into the standard United Stares numismatic "canon". An item not being in the Red Book is the kiss of death. Nobody was suggesting using it...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 14, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

In these parts, the Franklin Firefighters medal is commonly offered at all kinds of prices, and I have occasionally bought multiple pieces in the original capsules at less than spot. My biggest...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 14, 07:46 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

To avoid objections to my glib, fast composition, yes the intrinsic value of most modern clad coins is about 16% of their face (see the Coinflation website). Add in labor and other costs, the total...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 14, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

I would have to dig out some old books, but IIRC, the American Arts Gold medals were in the Red Book for a few years, but were dropped??? That's my recollection, perhaps a false memory.

They are...
Forum: Coins November 2nd 14, 06:18 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

You write very long but still dodge the question regarding placing meaningless denominations on round pieces that would have been issued as medals years ago.

"Denomination" does not mean "date". ...
Forum: Coins November 1st 14, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

No, the denomination is necessary because American coin collectors have had it drummed into their heads for more than fifty years that a round thingie WITHOUT a denomination is a medal, and that...
Forum: Coins August 23rd 14, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
ANA 25 Year Membership Medalet on eBay - A. George Van Mallis (VAM)

$150. - some VAMster got a bargain. Worth much more for braggin' rights. Oly
Forum: Coins August 20th 14, 03:10 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
ANA 25 Year Membership Medalet on eBay - A. George Van Mallis (VAM)

Sorry about the title - brain fart, should simply be A. George Mallis.
Forum: Coins August 20th 14, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
ANA 25 Year Membership Medalet on eBay - A. George Van Mallis (VAM)

The is presently an auction for the ANA 25 Year Membership Medalet formerly belonging to A. George Mallis, which has a little more than 2 days left to run.

I have one friend who would probably enjoy...
Forum: Coins July 22nd 14, 09:11 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Mint sent info on Kennedy Halfs

You and seven million other people got the "postcard".

Oly
Forum: Coins May 1st 14, 04:48 AM Posted to rec.collecting.coins
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Forget ditching the penny: Let's multiply every coin value by 10

The value of U.S. Coins in circulation as of May 31, 2010 was approximately $40.4 billion, or about 4.3% of total currency and coin in circulation.

- Congressional testimony by a representative of...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 39