CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Remainder Marks? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=322133)

SpanishMill March 8th 13 09:57 PM

Remainder Marks?

Did publishers remainder mark paperbacks from the '50's???

I'm looking at Clarke 1958 The Deep Range, Signet 1st ed. with what looks like red/orange remainder spray on the bottom only.

Don Phillipson[_2_] March 9th 13 02:40 PM

Remainder Marks?

"SpanishMill" wrote in message

Did publishers remainder mark paperbacks from the '50's???

I'm looking at Clarke 1958 The Deep Range, Signet 1st ed. with what
looks like red/orange remainder spray on the bottom only.

This seems unlikely. Book dealers I knew in the 1960s told
me those publishers with any credit system for remainders
required that cover pages be torn off and returned (but few
publishers offered credit for unsold paperbacks.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] March 9th 13 09:57 PM

Remainder Marks?

On 3/9/2013 9:40 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"SpanishMill" wrote in message

Did publishers remainder mark paperbacks from the '50's???

I'm looking at Clarke 1958 The Deep Range, Signet 1st ed. with what
looks like red/orange remainder spray on the bottom only.

This seems unlikely. Book dealers I knew in the 1960s told
me those publishers with any credit system for remainders
required that cover pages be torn off and returned (but few
publishers offered credit for unsold paperbacks.)

Yes, I had forgotten about the torn off covers, but I have seen quite a
few. It makes the modern remainder mark look quite innocuous.

Francis A. Miniter

SpanishMill March 11th 13 03:48 PM

So, paperbacks sometimes came with dyed text block?

J[_2_] April 22nd 13 03:59 AM

Remainder Marks?

On Mar 11, 11:48*am, SpanishMill
wrote:

So, paperbacks sometimes came with dyed text block?

Oh yes. Yellow was quite common, IIRC, and even purple with some of
the sci-fi/fantasy series.

SpanishMill April 23rd 13 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J[_2_] (Post 695224)
wrote:

So, paperbacks sometimes came with dyed text block?

Oh yes. Yellow was quite common, IIRC, and even purple with some of
the sci-fi/fantasy series.

Thanks, I have since confirmed that it was practiced in the 50's.