CollectingBanter

-   Juke Boxes (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Wurlitzer 3700/1050 tone arm question: (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=323597)

[email protected] March 10th 16 05:47 PM

Wurlitzer 3700/1050 tone arm question:

I have a working 1050 in the house. The tone-arm on this one has threaded adjustable weights attached in the rear, easily adjustable. The manual calls for what sounds like some expensive instrument dedicated to measuring the proper performance tone-arm pressure on the records, Needless to say, I don't have access to this.

Can anybody tell me, is there a simpler way to get somewhere in the ballpark of the required amount of tone-arm pressure before I start ruining my records??

John Robertson March 10th 16 06:54 PM

On 03/10/2016 9:47 AM, wrote:

I have a working 1050 in the house. The tone-arm on this one has threaded adjustable weights attached in the rear, easily adjustable. The manual calls for what sounds like some expensive instrument dedicated to measuring the proper performance tone-arm pressure on the records, Needless to say, I don't have access to this.

Can anybody tell me, is there a simpler way to get somewhere in the ballpark of the required amount of tone-arm pressure before I start ruining my records??

Back off the weight until the arm just floats over the record, then turn
it in a few turns.

Or buy a cheap postal scale that uses a clip or similar way to grab a
letter and use that to pick up the tone arm at the stylus distance from
the pivot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391382185836

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

[email protected] March 10th 16 09:23 PM

Wurlitzer 3700/1050 tone arm question:

Thanks, John.

[email protected] March 26th 16 08:23 AM

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 12:48:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a working 1050 in the house. The tone-arm on this one has threaded adjustable weights attached in the rear, easily adjustable. The manual calls for what sounds like some expensive instrument dedicated to measuring the proper performance tone-arm pressure on the records, Needless to say, I don't have access to this.

Can anybody tell me, is there a simpler way to get somewhere in the ballpark of the required amount of tone-arm pressure before I start ruining my records??

As I recall, the original cartridge used in the Wurlitzer 1050 is the Shure M44-C. The stylus ( needle ) is N44-C. The color of the stylus grip should be robins egg blue ( other colors have different specifications which should be avoided for your use ) . Manufacturers stylus pressure range for the N44-C is 3 to 5 grams, Optimum for jukebox use was 4 grams. there may be some budget priced ' tone Arm pressure guage ' available as in recent years records and turntables to play them have made somewhat of a comeback. Here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...wAAOSwEeFVTGte

Although not an original Shure replacement needle, the one shown in this pic approximates the color of the N44-C needle which is as I remember the Wurlitzer 1050 was equipped with when they were new. We had about 12 of these machines on location when the 1050 was still a commercially viable machine..

[email protected] March 26th 16 08:25 AM

Wurlitzer 3700/1050 tone arm question:

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 12:48:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a working 1050 in the house. The tone-arm on this one has threaded adjustable weights attached in the rear, easily adjustable. The manual calls for what sounds like some expensive instrument dedicated to measuring the proper performance tone-arm pressure on the records, Needless to say, I don't have access to this.

Can anybody tell me, is there a simpler way to get somewhere in the ballpark of the required amount of tone-arm pressure before I start ruining my records??

Link I forgot to include in my post :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-N-44C-...AOSwBahVBH4 H

John Robertson March 26th 16 09:07 PM

On 03/26/2016 1:25 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 12:48:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a working 1050 in the house. The tone-arm on this one has threaded adjustable weights attached in the rear, easily adjustable. The manual calls for what sounds like some expensive instrument dedicated to measuring the proper performance tone-arm pressure on the records, Needless to say, I don't have access to this.

Can anybody tell me, is there a simpler way to get somewhere in the ballpark of the required amount of tone-arm pressure before I start ruining my records??

Link I forgot to include in my post :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-N-44C-...AOSwBahVBH4 H

The Wurlitzer 1050 did NOT use a Shure magnetic cartridge, you are
perhaps confusing that machine (1976) with the Wurlitzer OMT (1015
repro) 45 player that did use magnetic cartridges.

For the 1050 I would use one of the universal cartridges that John
Durfee sells on needles4jukeboxes.com

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com