CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Latvian query. Latvia 1932, Michel 211 (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=146572)

amesh September 26th 05 09:52 PM

Latvian query. Latvia 1932, Michel 211

This Latvian stamp, depicting Leonardo's self-portrait, was issued 1932,
Michel # 211.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leonardo-latvia1932.jpg

Michel does not list the imperf variety, so I wonder whether it might be a
fake? Can anyone out there confirm my suspicion? Thanks in advance.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

[email protected] September 27th 05 12:15 AM

amesh wrote:
This Latvian stamp, depicting Leonardo's self-portrait, was issued 1932,
Michel # 211.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leonardo-latvia1932.jpg

Michel does not list the imperf variety, so I wonder whether it might be a
fake? Can anyone out there confirm my suspicion? Thanks in advance.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
http://www.heindorffhus.dk
------
Outgoing messages.checked with Norton AV

No, perf-(sorry)-ectly kosher. SG says this set comes both perf
(226A-230A) & imperf (226B-230B), with the imperfs worth about 10% more
than the perfs.

But what has always mystified me is why some stamps, particularly from
the Eastern Bloc, were issued both ways? Did anyone really go into a PO
and say: "Give me a sheet of imperfs, please, I need to exercise my
scissors"?

Chris

Blair (TC) September 27th 05 01:56 AM

Mette:

In Scott, these are listed as Airmail semi-postals.
80% of the price of the stamp was surtax for
wounded Latvian aviators.

The set is Scott CB9-13 (perf 10, 11.5) or
Scott CB9a-13a (Imperf). Issued DEC 1932.

perf set cv is $59 mint $61 used.
imperf set cv is $84 mint $90 used.

Your (10s + 40s) da Vinci stamp is :
Scott CB10 cv $15 mint or used.
Scott CB10a cv $18 mint or used.

Blair

Blair (TC) September 27th 05 02:54 AM

Current auction sales price these sets at about 50% of cv.
Some dealers charge +50% over their MLH price for MNH.

Blair

amesh September 27th 05 08:09 AM

"amesh" skrev i en meddelelse
This Latvian stamp, depicting Leonardo's self-portrait, was issued 1932,
Michel # 211.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leonardo-latvia1932.jpg

Michel does not list the imperf variety, so I wonder whether it might be a
fake? Can anyone out there confirm my suspicion? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, both Chris and Blair, for your answers. That explains a lot. I need
to say that both my Scott and SG are loaned to youth collectors at this
moment, they will come back with our next meeting in a couple of weeks. Only
my Michel is at home.

Mette

amesh September 27th 05 08:13 AM

skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...

amesh wrote:
This Latvian stamp, depicting Leonardo's self-portrait, was issued 1932,
Michel # 211.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leonardo-latvia1932.jpg

Michel does not list the imperf variety, so I wonder whether it might be
fake? Can anyone out there confirm my suspicion? Thanks in advance.

No, perf-(sorry)-ectly kosher. SG says this set comes both perf
(226A-230A) & imperf (226B-230B), with the imperfs worth about 10% more
than the perfs.

But what has always mystified me is why some stamps, particularly from
the Eastern Bloc, were issued both ways? Did anyone really go into a PO
and say: "Give me a sheet of imperfs, please, I need to exercise my
scissors"?

Some of them even come only imperf and without gum, see for example the
first set from Lithuania after the liberation!
I have a full sheet of each of the four values, and one cover (not
philatelic) franked with one of the stamps.

Mette

Jan-Martin Hertzsch September 27th 05 10:14 AM

wrote:

But what has always mystified me is why some stamps, particularly from
the Eastern Bloc, were issued both ways? Did anyone really go into a PO
and say: "Give me a sheet of imperfs, please, I need to exercise my
scissors"?

:-)

I suppose it was just for those crazy collectors interested in yet
another variety ... and the post office meant to get some more income
out of them. In the case of Hungary, the catalogs say that the
imperforate varietes issued after WW II weren't valid for postage at
all at first. Later on they were, but they were only sold for several
times their denomination.

As for ungummed stamps, some countries issued them this way because
of the humid climate; I believe that e. g. China issued stamps both
gummed and ungummed, the latter probably for use in the south-eastern
parts of the country.

Jan-Martin