CollectingBanter

-   Paper Money (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1935 $10 bill question (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37257)

Rico March 24th 04 05:38 AM

1935 $10 bill question

I have come across a $10 Silver Certificate 1934 A,with a yellow seal.
I see only 2 listing for $10 bills with yellow seals - 1934 and 1934 A North
Africa.
Wouldn't a NA bill have it stamped on the front and back,like Hawaii ?
Mine does not.
A plain 1934 yellow seal is worth considerable $$$,but mine is clearly an A
series.
If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be much obliged.

whohah March 24th 04 01:45 PM

Yellow seals indicate use in North Africa and, later to a certain extent,
the European Theater of Operations in WW II. It is a good find!

Jay in Garrison, TX

reply, if ya' wanna, to

9.130...

RayEndo March 24th 04 06:25 PM

Rico wrote:

I have come across a $10 Silver Certificate 1934 A,with a yellow seal.
I see only 2 listing for $10 bills with yellow seals - 1934 and 1934 A North
Africa.
Wouldn't a NA bill have it stamped on the front and back,like Hawaii ?
Mine does not.
A plain 1934 yellow seal is worth considerable $$$,but mine is clearly an A
series.
If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be much obliged.

The North Africa bills don't have "North Africa" printed on them like the
Hawaii bills. The Hawaii bills have "HAWAII" printed on them so that they can
be easily distinguished from other bills without "HAWAII" printed on them.
This was done in case Japan invaded Hawaii and tried to use these bills
elsewhere. The US would declare the bills with "HAWAII" printed on them no
longer legal tenders. I believe the notes were to circulate in Hawaii only.

jimmyfc March 24th 04 06:34 PM

Rico wrote in message . 99.130...
I have come across a $10 Silver Certificate 1934 A,with a yellow seal.
I see only 2 listing for $10 bills with yellow seals - 1934 and 1934 A North
Africa.
Wouldn't a NA bill have it stamped on the front and back,like Hawaii ?
Mine does not.
A plain 1934 yellow seal is worth considerable $$$,but mine is clearly an A
series.
If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be much obliged.

NA notes do not have "North Africa" over-printed on front and back.
The term "North Africa" is unofficial, whereas Hawaii was an official
government designation. I'm not sure what the offical designation of
the NA notes was. I think it was US Military something or another.

Rico March 25th 04 05:30 AM

Rico wrote in
9.130:

I have come across a $10 Silver Certificate 1934 A,with a yellow seal.
I see only 2 listing for $10 bills with yellow seals - 1934 and 1934 A
North Africa.
Wouldn't a NA bill have it stamped on the front and back,like Hawaii ?
Mine does not.
A plain 1934 yellow seal is worth considerable $$$,but mine is clearly
an A series.
If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be much obliged.

Thanks for the input guys.
I figured North African notes would have it plastered all over the front and
back like Hawaii.