CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Watermark detectors (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=319303)

[email protected] September 1st 11 06:54 PM

Watermark detectors

I would like to study the watermarks of a lot of stamps. Is there a
"non-liquid" watermark detector I can use? I have seen other
collectors at stamp shows squeeze stamps in little boxes to study
watermarks. Which are the best? and where can I purchase one? Thank
you in advance. Michael Titford.

Tony Clayton[_2_] September 1st 11 11:14 PM

Watermark detectors

wrote:
I would like to study the watermarks of a lot of stamps. Is there a
"non-liquid" watermark detector I can use? I have seen other
collectors at stamp shows squeeze stamps in little boxes to study
watermarks. Which are the best? and where can I purchase one? Thank
you in advance. Michael Titford.

Avoid the cheap Morley-Bright detector - it is useless in my opinion.

--
Tony Clayton
http://www.coinsoftheuk.co.uk

Billns September 2nd 11 05:51 PM

Watermark detectors

On 9/1/2011 10:54 AM, wrote:
I would like to study the watermarks of a lot of stamps. Is there a
"non-liquid" watermark detector I can use? I have seen other
collectors at stamp shows squeeze stamps in little boxes to study
watermarks. Which are the best? and where can I purchase one? Thank
you in advance. Michael Titford.

Some collectors have reported success with scanning the back of a stamp
and adjusting the brightness and color of the result.

I don't check watermarks very often, but I find barbeque lighter fluid
works well -- very small amount of liquid, well-ventilated area, limited
time exposure.

Bill

Terry Reedy September 2nd 11 09:57 PM

Watermark detectors

On 9/2/2011 12:11 PM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

wrote:
I would like to study the watermarks of a lot of stamps. Is there a
"non-liquid" watermark detector I can use?

Learn to use a lamp and your eyes. Probably 90% of the watermarks can be
seen with a 'back light' or stamp held over a matte black card and 'edge
lit' with a screened desk lamp.

Some of the rest hardly show even with fluid!

I second the suggestion to use light and eyes. Some issues work best
with transmitted light (list behind stamp, though maybe off to side and
stamp held at angle). Some with reflected light (stamp on black plastic
card). Magnification helps too.

I was fortunate to stumble across, at a garage sale an illuminated
magnifier (about 5", with circular flourescent bulb) with a spring arm
(so I can move it into and out of my view field and have both hands
free) and desk clamp. It works pretty well for some issues.

I have occasionally used water to see watermarks. This all took some
practice and experimentation and willingness to pass on some stamps and
some issues.

Terry