CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Moon Landing - It was Like Yesterday... (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=114914)

Victor Manta July 21st 04 08:57 PM

Moon Landing - It was Like Yesterday...

It was on July 20, 1969, at 10:56 PM ET, when Apollo 11 astronaut Neil
Armstrong stepped off the "Eagle" onto Moon's surface. One billion people
worldwide have then watched him on TV.

There he pronounced the memorably sentence "That's one small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind."

The great event was commemorated on stamps by many countries.

USPS issued a stamp on Sept. 9, 1969. See the second stamps on the nice
page:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonstamps/

A modest example can be seen at the end of my own page:
http://www.marci-postale.com/Romania/Space/space.htm

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Doug Spade July 23rd 04 10:27 PM

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
It was on July 20, 1969, at 10:56 PM ET, when Apollo 11 astronaut Neil
Armstrong stepped off the "Eagle" onto Moon's surface. One billion people
worldwide have then watched him on TV.

snip

How well I remember! I was with my parents at a square dance at a small
amusement park in Northwestern Ohio. Everything stopped about 10:45 that
night, and we all gathered around a TV set that had been set up in the
ground floor of the dance facility. I remember struggling to get a glimpse
of the fuzzy black and white picture for Armstrong's first step. I was
completely fascinated by the entire space program at the time.

Mike

Dave July 24th 04 05:09 PM

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
It was on July 20, 1969, at 10:56 PM ET, when Apollo 11 astronaut Neil
Armstrong stepped off the "Eagle" onto Moon's surface. One billion people
worldwide have then watched him on TV.

There he pronounced the memorably sentence "That's one small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind."

And at the moment of that memorable event I was in Viet Nam with the
Marines. I did not know Man had landed on the moon until four months later.
Shows how communication has progressed that a soldier in a far off land can
now talk nearly whenever he wants to those back home.
To make this more on topic, I even managed to collect some stamps
while there. An NVA soldier gave me stamps from a letter after I gave him
cigarettes. I still have those stamps, though God only knows what became of
him.
Dave

JSTONE9352 July 24th 04 09:48 PM

It was on July 20, 1969, at 10:56 PM ET, when Apollo 11 astronaut Neil
Armstrong stepped off the "Eagle" onto Moon's surface. One billion people
worldwide have then watched him on TV.

There he pronounced the memorably sentence "That's one small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind."

And at the moment of that memorable event I was in Viet Nam with the
Marines. I did not know Man had landed on the moon until four months later.
Shows how communication has progressed that a soldier in a far off land can
now talk nearly whenever he wants to those back home.
To make this more on topic, I even managed to collect some stamps
while there. An NVA soldier gave me stamps from a letter after I gave him
cigarettes. I still have those stamps, though God only knows what became of
him.
Dave

I was one of the 1 billion people

that watched it on TV. It was rather