CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cent Melt (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=291770)

dlhii May 20th 10 02:22 AM

Cent Melt

I did some searching to try and figure out if the government had a
cent melt in 1943. About all I was able to find was the current 'new'
law about melting. I found steel was used because of a copper shortage
but nothing about a possible melt.

Just something that was rattling around in my head.

george pearl May 20th 10 02:47 AM

Cent Melt

On May 19, 6:22*pm, dlhii wrote:
I did some searching to try and figure out if the government had a
cent melt in 1943. About all I was able to find was the current 'new'
law about melting. I found steel was used because of a copper shortage
but nothing about a possible melt.

Just something that was rattling around in my head. *

I read a story once that the mint gave away steel cents in bulk
if only the receiver would melt them down.

Donald Weber May 21st 10 05:19 PM

Cent Melt

I remember reading a story about a guy who worked at a steel mill in
Bethlahem Pa.. He said he vividly remembered the day they received many
pallets of 55 gallon steel drums full of steel cents. They were all melted
down and recycled as steel products. I just can't recall where I read it.

Don