CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can anyone identify a coin(s) for me please? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=290032)

Onderbaadjie April 15th 10 09:37 AM

Can anyone identify a coin(s) for me please?

First, you will have to know about Asian Coins, it is "brass" looking,
is 2 cm across and a 5 mm hole in the center. There are 2 characters
on the bottom of one side and some type of grain like wheat or rice
bent into almost a half circle above the 2 characters. On the reverse,
3 slightly larger characters, then 2 characters opposite of each other
on the sides of the coin that look almost like a seedling of a bean
plant with 4 smaller characters below that.
The first side is here at;
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...Coin/Side1.jpg

The second side is at;
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...Coin/Side2.jpg

I would just like to know the Country of origin and the local
denomination (I do not need the USD value), it is just for a very
large collection I am building for my son. I picked up many coins and
paper all throughout Africa and Eastern / Western Europe as well as
the Caribbean Islands, I just have not seen this one before.

Second is this one that appears to possibly be a Token from Japan,
can't remember where I got it. It is at;
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...oken_Maybe.jpg

Walter

Onderbaadjie April 15th 10 09:39 AM

The first side is here at;http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...nderbaadjies%2...

The second side is at;http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...nderbaadjies%2...

I would just like to know the Country of origin and the local
denomination (I do not need the USD value), it is just for a very
large collection I am building for my son. I picked up many coins and
paper all throughout Africa and Eastern / Western Europe as well as
the Caribbean Islands, I just have not seen this one before.

Second is this one that appears to possibly be a Token from Japan,
can't remember where I got it. It is at;http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...nderbaadjies%2...

Walter

I also forgot to add, the last one I think was a token from Japan,
there is only 1 pic because both sides are the same.

B.J.[_2_] April 15th 10 10:09 AM

On Apr 15, 4:37*am, Onderbaadjie wrote:
First, you will have to know about Asian Coins, it is "brass" looking,
is 2 cm across and a 5 mm hole in the center. There are 2 characters
on the bottom of one side and some type of grain like wheat or rice
bent into almost a half circle above the 2 characters. On the reverse,
3 slightly larger characters, then 2 characters opposite of each other
on the sides of the coin that look almost like a seedling of a bean
plant with 4 smaller characters below that.
The first side is here at;http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...nderbaadjies%2...

The second side is at;http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...nderbaadjies%2...

This is a 5 Yen coin from Japan. The date is year 5 of Akihito
(Heisei), which was 1993.

I have no idea for the second token.

Onderbaadjie April 15th 10 09:26 PM

Can anyone identify a coin(s) for me please?

This is a 5 Yen coin from Japan. *The date is year 5 of Akihito
(Heisei), which was 1993.

I have no idea for the second token.

Thank You,
I was wondering where it was from. I knew I had some items from
Japan, but was not sure id that one was too, I was thinking China.
Thanks for the help!
Walter

[email protected] April 16th 10 09:19 PM

Can anyone identify a coin(s) for me please?

The ID on the 5 yen coin is correct. (Current exchange value is about
5 cents US.) The token I think is also from Japan, since it uses the
Japanese hiragana script. The inscription reads "ya-o-ya" or
"yaoya". Some quick Googling shows that "yaoya" is a Japanese word
for a greengrocer, so this is probably a token issued for a grocer in
Japan. Hope this helps.

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.