CollectingBanter

-   Card discussions (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Remember when.... (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18826)

BlackJet76 October 30th 03 04:19 AM

Remember when....

Remember when Rick Ankiel was considered the best young pitcher in all of
baseball? He was probably the first in a long line of recent top pitching
prospects. Remember in 1999 and early 2000 it was Ankiel 1, Zito 2, and Prior
wasn't even in the picture yet. I wonder what's going to become of old Rick
Ankiel? Can he still be great?

Remember when...Ben Sheets was supposed to be good? Think he can turn it
around?

Don Ford Lavina, MT October 30th 03 03:45 PM

How about Ryan Anderson? When 1998 Bowman Series 1 came out, the top
priced prospects were Orlando Hernandez, Troy Glaus, Gabe Kapler,
Kevin Millwood & Ryan Anderson. So far, Anderson has put up great
stats in the minors - when he could play. He spent part of 1998 and
2000 on the DL and has missed the entire 2001 and 2002 seasons after
having surgery for a torn rotator cuff. Not a single pitch thrown in
the majors. Now his Bowman RC isn't even listed.

Jeff Shaw October 31st 03 01:23 AM

BlackJet76 wrote:
Remember when Rick Ankiel was considered the best young pitcher in all of
baseball? He was probably the first in a long line of recent top pitching
prospects. Remember in 1999 and early 2000 it was Ankiel 1, Zito 2, and Prior
wasn't even in the picture yet. I wonder what's going to become of old Rick
Ankiel? Can he still be great?

Remember when...Ben Sheets was supposed to be good? Think he can turn it
around?

Ben Sheets is good - not great, but good. He is still young, has put up
numbers that are not embarrassing for a poor team. I'm a Giants fan and
wouldn't mind having him on my pitching staff. Jeff in Seattle