CollectingBanter

-   US Stamps (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Envelope Sizing (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=134786)

twillers June 24th 05 03:31 PM

Envelope Sizing

I'm very much a novice when it comes to stamps, and stamp collecting. I
have a question about cover (envelope) sizes. My father had a Scott
stamp book that was from the late 1930's. Among the stamps there were
two canceled Airmail covers dated May 31, 1930. They are both Scott UC1,
and I can easily see the watermark 28 on one of envelopes. My problem is
I can't figure out which size envelope I have. The 2005, "Scott
Specialized Catalogue" makes reference to three different size envelopes
(#5, #8, and #13). Thinking logically, I would think the #5 is the
smallest and #13 would be the largest. From what I can tell from the
Web, logic is thrown out the window. I can not find any definitive
information about the dimensions of the envelopes, or how the sizes are
determined. From pictures I have found from various online auctions, it
appears that the size 5, and size 13 are the same size. It seems the
size 8 is longer then the others. Is there a place that gives this type
of information. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, twillers