CollectingBanter

-   Pens & Pencils (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Archive with Graphite? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=325159)

Jason McDingleberry August 27th 19 08:18 PM

Archive with Graphite?

How well does graphite on paper age? If it isn't rubbed and just sits
in a cintainer with nothing smearing the surface will it be OK? I'm
putting something in a time capsule, the note must be handwritten and
placed between two panes of glass with 1/8" (3mm) space.

Mike Tattersall February 1st 21 05:24 PM

Archive with Graphite?

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 at 20:18:23 UTC+1, Jason McDingleberry wrote:
How well does graphite on paper age? If it isn't rubbed and just sits
in a cintainer with nothing smearing the surface will it be OK? I'm
putting something in a time capsule, the note must be handwritten and
placed between two panes of glass with 1/8" (3mm) space.

Probably too late - but - the graphite will last for years - I've been doing some historical research recently - looking at documents 150 plus years old which have contemporary
pencil annotations.
The paper is probably the key thing - modern papers tend to be more acidic and prone to decay (high wood pulp - low linen content) - invest in some archiving paper - and the document will last for decades or more.

--

JPIMedia Publishing Limited Registered in England and Wales no. 11499982

Registered Office: 1 King Street, London EC2V 8AU

Opinions expressed in
this email are those of the writer and not the company. E-mail traffic is
monitored within JPIMedia Limited and messages may be viewed. This e-mail
and any files with it are solely for the use of the addressee(s).If you are
not the intended recipient, you have received this e-mail in error. Please
delete it or return it to the sender or notify us by email at