CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   We wish them a Merry Christmas... (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113868)

John Mycroft November 20th 03 03:24 PM

We wish them a Merry Christmas...

Gday, one and all,
With Christmas not a million years away, many of us will be contemplating
presents for our loved ones (and for ourselves). There are a lot of people
less fortunate than us who could do with a bit of help. So I have set up a
way that anyone planning to buy from Amazon this Christmas can make a
donation without spending any more than normal.

If you go to www.cobbsmill.com/shopping.htm you'll find a link to the Amazon
web site. If you go to Amazon via this link, a percentage of anything you
spend at Amazon will go into a fund. I will then give 100% of this fund to
the Salvation Army to help needy people in the USA. I'll have no idea who
has spent how much on what or where you are - all I get from Amazon is a
total dollar figure.

Why the Salvation Army? Loads of reasons - first of all, purely personal
ones. I have fond memories of the Salvation Army band playing carols in the
street outside our house in the freezing wet English December. And during
WWII, when my mother and brother were homeless in a bombed out London, the
Sallies took them in and found her a job where she could also look after Bob
rather than farming him out. She never forgot that kindness and, now that
she is no longer around, it's my turn to carry on the tradition.

OK, sorry to prattle on and sorry to raise the subject of Christmas before
Thanksgiving - I know what a heinous crime that is. I'll keep everyone
informed (occasionally) on how the donation is looking - current status is
$2.75 from a book I bought myself.

--
Cheers - John Mycroft
coryton_at_cobbsmill_dot_com

Rodney November 20th 03 08:53 PM

We send (recycled) shoes to Afghanistan.
Aluminium can tabs to Thailand for prosthesis'
send stamps to Uganda for schoolkids
.............and if we could find the (blankety) recipe, for refilling
highliter pens (there is one) , we would send pencils and equipment to Ethiopia
for the schoolkids.

--

(Remove gum to reply)

John Mycroft November 20th 03 09:41 PM

Don't tell anyone but, if you can get the top off your highlighter, give it
a shot of white vinegar.

Rodney November 21st 03 04:10 AM

Hmmm, I've tried most John,
lighter fluid included,
however, white vinegar....I'll give it a go.
(I won't mention a word)

(Remove gum to reply)

Rodney November 22nd 03 02:22 AM

Don't tell anyone but, if you can get the top off your highlighter............

You're a legend John!
We will carry out some longevity tests
but if it comes up to our first try,
there should be some happy kid's in Ethiopia
or wherever we send the pens.

A BIG thankyou.

John Mycroft November 24th 03 02:51 PM

Don't mention it. Even better, you won't get a headache from sniffing the
highlighter. (Used to work with a guy who was hooked on them!)