CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A nice little brag (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=178269)

William M. Klimon June 24th 06 03:54 AM

A nice little brag

John A. Stovall wrote:

I must say it was a nice bit of luck.

Here's my nice bit of luck for the week:

I recently discovered the following--which is a must-have for my
convertiana collection:

http://tinyurl.com/mdgdh

But the dealer is going out of business:

http://www.smitskamp.nl/index2.htm

And he's already sent this book to auction--it's lot # 1522 he

http://tinyurl.com/ovcmo

As you can see, at auction it sold for about 10% of the dealer's list
price. I wish I had known about this auction--but there's always a
second chance because the book has turned up for auction he

which I won earlier this week, at a 20% discount over the previous
auction price.

Ta-da.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

David Ames June 25th 06 11:58 AM

A nice little brag

William M. Klimon wrote:
:

which I won earlier this week, at a 20% discount over the previous
auction price.

Ta-da.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Excuse me for getting literal with a regular in this newsgroup, but a
discount would have to be under the previous price, not over it.

David Ames

William M. Klimon June 27th 06 03:37 AM

A nice little brag

David Ames wrote:

which I won earlier this week, at a 20% discount over the previous
auction price.

Excuse me for getting literal with a regular in this newsgroup, but a
discount would have to be under the previous price, not over it.

That's the danger of being too literal. (And, of course, no one would
one say colloquially: "I got a discount UNDER the previous price.")

I was suggesting that the discount I got was "over [and above]," i.e.,
in addition to, the discount the eBay seller got when he bought the
book at auction.

In any case, getting a $2500 book for $300 seems to me like an occasion
for grammatical exuberance.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Kris Baker June 27th 06 03:40 AM

A nice little brag

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
ups.com...
David Ames wrote:

which I won earlier this week, at a 20% discount over the previous
auction price.

Excuse me for getting literal with a regular in this newsgroup, but a
discount would have to be under the previous price, not over it.

That's the danger of being too literal. (And, of course, no one would
one say colloquially: "I got a discount UNDER the previous price.")

I was suggesting that the discount I got was "over [and above]," i.e.,
in addition to, the discount the eBay seller got when he bought the
book at auction.

In any case, getting a $2500 book for $300 seems to me like an occasion
for grammatical exuberance.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

I think we should celebrate the pedantry of this group; it's natural,
in such a detail-oriented environment.

Kris

William M. Klimon June 27th 06 04:19 AM

A nice little brag

Kris Baker wrote:

I think we should celebrate the pedantry of this group; it's natural,
in such a detail-oriented environment.

I thought spelling and grammar flames (particularly with unidiomatic
suggestions) were contrary to Usenet etiquette.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com