CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fake coin (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=186193)

Dale Hallmark September 9th 06 01:14 PM

Fake coin

http://www.austriancoins.com/tmp/2pfake.jpg

Dale

Ian September 9th 06 01:45 PM

Fake coin

It was probably quite convincing when it was first made, but......well
lets just say its a bit of a mess now (thankfully!) ;-)

Ian

Dale Hallmark September 9th 06 02:45 PM

Fake coin

"EvilBill" wrote in message
Christian Feldhaus wrote:
EvilBill wrote:

LOL, nice... why someone would go to the trouble of faking a coin
that's only made of base metals anyway, is beyond me.

Why would someone fake a note that is only made of paper? g

Paper's a lot cheaper to print than coins are to make (well, outside of a
mint) - as I understand it. g It'd cost more to fake the coin than it'd
buy.

* Move along, nothing to see here.

Yahoo: evilbill_agqx
Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk

I am a home hobby foundryman. I melt and cast Aluminum, Brass, Bronze and
Copper for this or that art type, folk art or nick knack object.

If I was to be of a criminal temperament (I am not), I guarantee that except
for a little up front labor
I could make a coin similar to this for practically nothing per thousand.
And mass production is
all in the initial set up.

The one I showed is a pretty poor example, a much nicer one would be no
problem though it would cost more on the set up. Actually taking the next
step and striking instead of casting one is not all that difficult if you
had some minimal equipment (I don't ).

From what I have been told, each one passed is almost but not quite 100%
profit. I have said it before and I will say it again, easy job, low
overhead, excellent profit margin but the retirement program really sucks.

Dale

EvilBill September 9th 06 09:32 PM

Fake coin

Dale Hallmark" dalehall"AT wrote:
http://www.austriancoins.com/tmp/2pfake.jpg

Dale

LOL, nice... why someone would go to the trouble of faking a coin that's
only made of base metals anyway, is beyond me. Maybe it's for the same
reason people climb a mountain ;)

Christian Feldhaus September 9th 06 10:16 PM

Fake coin

EvilBill wrote:

LOL, nice... why someone would go to the trouble of faking a coin that's
only made of base metals anyway, is beyond me.

Why would someone fake a note that is only made of paper? g

Christian

EvilBill September 10th 06 12:05 AM

Fake coin

Dale Hallmark wrote:

I am a home hobby foundryman. I melt and cast Aluminum, Brass,
Bronze and Copper for this or that art type, folk art or nick knack
object.
If I was to be of a criminal temperament (I am not), I guarantee that
except for a little up front labor
I could make a coin similar to this for practically nothing per
thousand. And mass production is
all in the initial set up.

The one I showed is a pretty poor example, a much nicer one would be
no problem though it would cost more on the set up. Actually taking
the next step and striking instead of casting one is not all that
difficult if you had some minimal equipment (I don't ).

From what I have been told, each one passed is almost but not quite
100% profit. I have said it before and I will say it again, easy
job, low overhead, excellent profit margin but the retirement program
really sucks.

I stand corrected, I guess there still is "money to be made" so to speak g

note.boy September 10th 06 11:41 AM

Fake coin

"EvilBill" wrote in message
Dale Hallmark" dalehall"AT wrote:
http://www.austriancoins.com/tmp/2pfake.jpg

Dale

LOL, nice... why someone would go to the trouble of faking a coin that's
only made of base metals anyway, is beyond me. Maybe it's for the same
reason people climb a mountain ;)

* Move along, nothing to see here.

Yahoo: evilbill_agqx
Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk

There are tens of thousands of fake £1 coins in circulation in the UK and
they are base metal also, I believe that the fakers sell the £1 coins for
around 25p. Billy