CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=204706)

Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible) February 10th 07 03:18 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

I own a pristine copy of a volume titled "The Picatrix", published by
Ourobouros Press in 2001 in a limited edition of 1000 copies (mine is
#331). I'm doing an appraisal of the current value of this book, so I
searched Bookfinder to see what was listed there.

There are several copies listed, ranging in price from a low of $204
to a high of over $500 (the latter from a Seattle brick and mortar
store for a copy with a scuff on the cover!) One of the outliers,
pricing a copy at $430, was an outfit called "seattle_bookseller". I
wrote and asked why the price was so high, and got an amazingly
vituperative and abusive response, stating that this "WAS HOW THE RARE
BOOK BUSINESS WORKED" and that I "NEED A COURSE IN REMEDIAL ECONOMICS"
and so on.

I was a little surprised at this, but a little research turned up the
even more surprising information that this seller is one "Luis M.
Arsupial", the same person who was doing business (kinda) as
"texas_bookseller" up until about six months ago, and who previously
created a huge stink in this group over some questionable
transactions!

This kind of pricing seems like nothing more than gouging to me. I
could buy two copies of this book for what this yoyo is asking for it.
I can only assume that he's doing business on a basis of relying on
his customers being ignorant and not doing their research. Based on
the listings on Bookfinder, I'd estimate the value of this book at
$225 to $250, certainly nowhere close to $430.

Is this a usual practice? Do a lot of booksellers price their wares in
the hopes that their buyers will be too stupid to know that they're
being asked to pay twice what a book is worth?

(Apparently this "Luis M. Arsupial"--"marsupial"...?--was once known
as "Jason Christopher Hughes", a name which turns up a wide variety of
odd and amazing postings on USENET...)

my-wings February 10th 07 04:40 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

"Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)" wrote in
message oups.com...
#331). I'm doing an appraisal of the current value of this book, so I
[...]

I remember some sort of hoo-haa over "Luis M. Arsupial" but forget the
details, so my comments are general.

First: Good for you for doing your homework! The first rule of internet book
buying is "buyer beware".

Second: While the seller's response to you was over the top and
unprofessional, it's hard to know by how much without knowing how your
inquiry was phrased. Did you say: "I collect this author and I'd be happy to
know if you've got something special I haven't seen before that would make
your book worth more than most of the others I've seen"? Or did you say:
"You are a price gouger and a thief who preys on the ignorant and unwary.
Why are you charging so much?"?

Again, I'm ignoring whatever reputation the seller has already acquired.
Just talking in general.

One possibility is that the seller doesn't even own the book. That happened
to me not too long ago. I sold one to another seller who asked me to drop
ship the book. When I looked at his web site, he had copied my description
lock, stock, and barrel and upped my price by a third.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that that's what's really happening with your
seattle_bookseller. He finds books worth a few hundred dollars, prices his
copy a bit below the top, and plans on buying one of the lower priced books
if he has to fulfill the order. What could be better? Somebody else buys and
stocks the book, and it doesn't cost him a cent until he gets the order.
Again, just speculation, but that's my first guess.

All that said, basically used books are worth exactly what some one will pay
for them. The internet has been a great leveler as far as pricing, because
most people, even with a simple Google search, can do exactly what you did
and get the range of prices available. In the "old days", books moved much
differently. Sellers had shops, and priced for their geographic areas and
their specialty. A book that was priced at $12 in one shop could bring $50
or $200 when moved to a dealer who had the right clients for it. Sales from
dealer to dealer were a much bigger part of the trade. It was understood
that part of the value a dealer added to a book was his knowledge of the
collecting area and years of cultivating the kind of customers who would
want that kind of book.

So...your seller may indeed be a sleaze-bag. I would certainly never buy
from him based on the unprofessional response he made to you. But if he's
got the book and he wants to list it at $400+ when most copies are in the
$200-range, so what? Maybe his policy is to never revise a listing, and he's
just waiting for the market to catch up with him! You don't have to buy the
book, and he doesn't have to justify his price to you, unless he's got a
really good story that truly makes the book worth what he's charging.

Not that I think it's necessarily right for a dealer to charge any price at
all. I've seen some things that would simply embarrass me to be involved
with. There was an auction on eBay two weeks ago where a seller paired two
common $25 books, hyped the illustrator and sold the pair for over $200. And
a copycat did the same thing with the same titles and netted over $100.
Again, nobody made any of the customers bid on the auctions, and the books
were started at a very reasonable price, but seeing the final values, I just
cringed. I would hate to be either of those sellers when their customers
found out they could have gotten the same books for a quarter or half the
price on amazon.

And that, my friend, is why serious collectors often support specific
sellers over a period of years, even if it means they pay a small premium in
the pricing over what the same titles in the same condition would bring in
other venues. They do it because they know they can trust the seller to
accurately describe the books, to stand behind their products, and to price
fairly, even if not at the cheapest price.

Alice

--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible) February 10th 07 05:43 PM

On Feb 10, 8:40 am, "my-wings" wrote:
"Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

And that, my friend, is why serious collectors often support specific
sellers over a period of years, even if it means they pay a small premium in
the pricing over what the same titles in the same condition would bring in
other venues. They do it because they know they can trust the seller to
accurately describe the books, to stand behind their products, and to price
fairly, even if not at the cheapest price.

Thanks for your comments! Especially when buying rare stuff, having an
honest dealer is critical. The feedback for "seattle_bookseller" on
Amazon, at

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller...=AM0TBPF72AOXR

seems to support the notion that this business is best avoided.
Negative feedback is 8% in just the last month, and there have been
complaints about the condition of books being seriously misrepresented
(this was the issue that caused the fracas with this person last
time), non-delivery, delivery of less than was purchased (e.g. one
volume out of ten, ten out of twelve, etc.)

Don Phillipson February 10th 07 06:46 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

"Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)" wrote in
message oups.com...

Based on
the listings on Bookfinder, I'd estimate the value of this book at
$225 to $250, certainly nowhere close to $430.

You may have a mistaken apprehension of the retail
market for genuinely rare books. In comparison with
other goods (e.g. computers, e.g. mass-produced new
books) vendors cannot set prices in order to undercut
the competition (because these items are so scarce
that price competition seldom works.) By contrast,
haggling (bargaining) over price may be as common
as in some other markets (e.g. automobiles.)

We still do not know why you did not buy a couple
of copies at $250 and offer to sell them to this dealer
at $350.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible) February 10th 07 07:18 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Feb 10, 10:46 am, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

We still do not know why you did not buy a couple
of copies at $250 and offer to sell them to this dealer
at $350.

For starts, because he's abusive in response to straightforward
questions; secondly, because (based on his Amazon rating, and on
complaints about his previous incarnation as "texas_bookseller") he
appears to be dishonest.

[email protected] February 16th 07 06:07 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

#331). I'm doing an appraisal of the current value of this book, so I
searched Bookfinder to see what was listed there.

There are several copies listed, ranging in price from a low of $204
to a high of over $500 (the latter from a Seattle brick and mortar
store for a copy with a scuff on the cover!) One of the outliers,
pricing a copy at $430, was an outfit called "seattle_bookseller". I
wrote and asked why the price was so high, and got an amazingly
vituperative and abusive response, stating that this "WAS HOW THE RARE
BOOK BUSINESS WORKED" and that I "NEED A COURSE IN REMEDIAL ECONOMICS"
and so on.

Well, he sounds like a grouch. Smart dealers
have a civil and positive-sounding reply for any
question. He should have told you what a
wonderful deal he was offering. Maybe there
is some satisfaction in saying "That's my price,
like it or lump it," but all that does is ensure
that customers don't come back. Some
dealers have that small shopkeeper mentality
where they think it is more important to put
customers in their place with thngs like,
"It is my shop and I'll do as I please blah
blah blah," while to better business people
the trick is to keep people happy and keep
them coming back. That does not mean
letting people walk on you, but it means
explaining things in a positive way when
at all possible.

There is dealer in my area who got exercised
because I simply ask him if a paperback
was new or used. His store is basically a
used bookstore, so it looked to me like he
was pricing "used like-new" p.b.'s at cover
price, and I simply asked him if a paperback
was new or used. (I am not referring to
rare, out-of-print p.b.'s, but just trade-
sized p.b.'s that many used book dealers
around here price at fifty-percent of cover.)
It just so happens thatthis dealer
does not like that question, probably
because he hears it all the time. He insisted
that the book was brand new, not used.
Actually, I believe the guy, because there
other things about his business which
suggests he is a person of some integrity.
He is just an oddball type who does order
new books and mixes them in with his used
books, which most used-book dealers do
not do. Even so, I suspect he has driven
off a lot of customers by getting hot under
the collar regarding a very sensible
question. All things considered, he has
one of the better used bookstores in the
San Diego area, so I still patronize the
guy, but you have to walk on eggshells
in his shop because he will fly off the
handle if you ask the wrong question.

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

[...]

You can't blame dealers for trying to get what the
traffic will bear. In no way is that "price gouging."
On the other hand, many listings show that dealers
like to use "fantasy pricing." That is, when someone
has the only copy of a book of obviously some value
for sale on the entire internet, and he prices it at $400,
that may be very sensible. On the other hand, if he
prices his book at $400 and four other equally
reputable dealers are offering what looks like an
identical copy at prices between $30 and $50,
then the first dealer is not price gouging, he is
dreaming. Or, since you assume he is trying
to sell his book, you might say he is "pricing
stupid." But, I completely agree with the other
posters who say that "price gouging" is not a
correct term to use regarding the pricing of
rare collectibles.

[email protected] February 16th 07 06:15 PM

wrote:
"Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

Based on
the listings on Bookfinder, I'd estimate the value of this book at
$225 to $250, certainly nowhere close to $430.

You may have a mistaken apprehension of the retail
market for genuinely rare books.

Absolutely true. When you are talking about a
rare collectible, the term "price gouging" is
inappropriate. On the other hand, good
business people develop a sense of what
the traffic will bear -- not so good ones price
more in accordance with their fantasies
regarding what they think they can get.

In comparison with
other goods (e.g. computers, e.g. mass-produced new
books) vendors cannot set prices in order to undercut
the competition (because these items are so scarce
that price competition seldom works.) By contrast,
haggling (bargaining) over price may be as common
as in some other markets (e.g. automobiles.)

We still do not know why you did not buy a couple
of copies at $250 and offer to sell them to this dealer
at $350.

Why waste time doing that? Assuming he is
like many other dealers, he probably paid no
more than $20 bucks for that book in the first
place.

RWF February 18th 07 09:54 PM

On Feb 16, 1:07 pm, wrote:
There is dealer in my area who got exercised
because I simply ask him if a paperback
was new or used.

Geez palmjob, after going on at length in about a million posts about
how smart and knowledgable you are, one would think you'd be able to
tell the difference between a new and a used paperback!
I guess it's true that self-abuse does diminish one's eyesight!

[email protected] February 20th 07 09:11 AM

On Feb 18, 1:54 pm, "RWF" wrote:
On Feb 16, 1:07 pm, wrote:

There is dealer in my area who got exercised
because I simply ask him if a paperback
was new or used.

Geez palmjob, after going on at length in about a million posts about
how smart and knowledgable you are, one would think you'd be able to
tell the difference between a new and a used paperback!
I guess it's true that self-abuse does diminish one's eyesight!

You are full of beans, as always. It is often absolutely
impossible to tell whether a book is new or "used, like
new." Yes, sometimes books do have that "never been
opened" look and feel. On the other hand, a great many
books have been opened, browsed, thumbed-through,
etc., right in new bookstores. Or, are you going to
invent a rule that states that a book which has sat
on a bookstore's shelves for a while cannot be called
new? Of course, the custom of trade in the book
business does not adhere to any such ridiculous rule,
as you well know. When a book has been owned by
a careful reader, it is often impossible to say from
looking at it whether it is new or "used, like-new."
Yes, you can often tell if a book has been opened, but
you have no way of determining whether it has been
opened by someone glancing through it in a bookstore
or has been opened by a careful reader. So, in your
pathetic attempte at humor, your are blaming me
for not knowing things that no one else could
possibly know either. You're really sort of dumb,
aren't you? A veritable dim bulb! 'Fess up, now...

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

RWF February 20th 07 12:44 PM

On Feb 20, 4:11 am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 1:54 pm, "RWF" wrote:

On Feb 16, 1:07 pm, wrote:

[...]

Good old balmy palmy, just making stuff up as you go along, as usual.
Palmjob, you cretin, I know you are a reclusive, anti-social old fart-
sniffer but even a moron like you should have enough knowledge of
human nature to know that if the book looked like it was new, the
dealer would charge you for a new book, not a used one.

[email protected] February 20th 07 06:42 PM

On Feb 20, 4:44 am, "RWF" wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:11 am, wrote:

On Feb 18, 1:54 pm, "RWF" wrote:

On Feb 16, 1:07 pm, wrote:

[...]

'Fess up, now...- Hide quoted text -

How typical of a low-wattage bulb like you to hurl
scatological insults when cornered by your own
feeble arguments. No, as a matter of fact the
best used book dearlers do NOT charge cover
price for a paperback simply because it looks
like new. They have found from experience that
their customers favor a consistent pricing policy.
One of the more successful used book dealers
in this area has a consistent "one-half cover
price" policy for all paperbacks, with the
exception of those older ones having a cover
price of $4 or less, for which they charge a
flat $2, whether the original cover was $4 or
$2.95 or whatever. (And also they do charge
more, of course, for vintage collectible p.b.s).
But as for a brand new looking trade paperback --
fiction or non-fiction -- or a mass market paperback,
they charge a standard 50 percent of the cover
price. Since the customers know they are a used
bookstore they would certainly lose business if they
started charging higher rates for paperbacks
simply because the paperbacks looked brand
new. Now, if someone as stupid as you
took over the store, he would suddenly start
charging cover price for every paperback which
looked new, and he would simply drive people
away. Sort of like "Yes, we have thousands
of used paperbacks priced at one-half cover
price, but, as you can see, dear customer,
THAT paperback looks BRAND NEW so
we are going to have to charge you full
cover price." You sound like someone
who has been buying your paperbacks
in big city schlock shops where they would
actually run a business in such a shabby
fashion! But, then, you have already been
revealed to our readers as a -- putting the
matter as charitably as possible --
low-wattage type... Cheers.

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

Scot Kamins February 20th 07 08:30 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

In article .com,
wrote:

On Feb 20, 4:44 am, "RWF" wrote:

nonsense
On Feb 20, 4:11 am, wrote:

trollbait

I REALLY wish you two would take your love letters off line.

When you each speak of books -- and ONLY books -- I find that you have
something to say and I usually learn from it.

But this silly back-and-forth crap was old years ago.

Please leave it behind. Ignore each other if you must, but please get
back to books.

--
Scot Kamins
Maintaing the Modern Library collectors website

Evelyn C. Leeper February 20th 07 09:55 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

Scot Kamins wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

On Feb 20, 4:44 am, "RWF" wrote:

nonsense
On Feb 20, 4:11 am, wrote:

trollbait

I REALLY wish you two would take your love letters off line.

When you each speak of books -- and ONLY books -- I find that you have
something to say and I usually learn from it.

But this silly back-and-forth crap was old years ago.

Please leave it behind. Ignore each other if you must, but please get
back to books.

Amen.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Junk is something you keep for years, then throw away

RWF February 20th 07 10:41 PM

On Feb 20, 1:42 pm, wrote:

No, as a matter of fact the
best used book dearlers do NOT charge cover
price for a paperback simply because it looks
like new.

Palmjob, you drooling imbecile, the whole point of your post was that
the dealer in question was not ranked among "the best used book
dearlers".
You really should pay attention.

[email protected] February 21st 07 12:17 AM

On Feb 20, 2:41 pm, "RWF" wrote:
On Feb 20, 1:42 pm, wrote:

No, as a matter of fact the
best used book dearlers do NOT charge cover
price for a paperback simply because it looks
like new.

Palmjob, you drooling imbecile, the whole point of your post was that
the dealer in question was not ranked among "the best used book
dearlers".
You really should pay attention.

Stop trying to wriggle out of the embarrassing
consequences of your assault on our reader's
intelligence. Anyone reading my posts on this
thread can see I have referred to two different
dealers. And, as a matter of fact, both have
their good points. The first I referred to was
the oddball who orders new paperbacks from
distributors and mixes them in with his used
books. That's fine, if he wants to do that,
but he should expect that customers will
regularly ask him if a paperback is new,
or "used, like new." Of course, if it is the
latter, and the paperback is not out-of-print,
customers will not expect to pay new book
prices.

The other used book dealer I referred to was
the once who charges a flat 50 percent of
cover for paperbacks. That was where
you started blathering some nonsense to the
effect that he was foolish for charging only
half price for a paperback which looked new.
You proved you were too dim to grasp the
fact that a consistent pricing policy regarding
used paperbacks (whether they look brand
new or not) serves him better than a policy of
grsping for cover price simply because a used
paperback looks new. Say, you ARE incredibly
dim-witted aren't you? I realized from glancing
through some of your previous posts posts that
you were no Einstein, to say the least. but
now that you have been making a fool of
yourself over and over on this thread with your
feeble arguments and puerile name-calling
fits, it has become plain that you are a
certifiable dullard. Have a WONDERFUL
day.

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

RWF February 21st 07 12:37 AM

On Feb 20, 7:17 pm, wrote:
I realized from glancing
through some of your previous posts posts that
you were no Einstein, to say the least. but
now that you have been making a fool of
yourself over and over on this thread with your
feeble arguments and puerile name-calling
fits, it has become plain that you are a
certifiable dullard. Have a WONDERFUL
day.

There goes balmy palmy talking about himself again!
Self abuse is indeed a cruel master, eh palmjob?

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 03:32 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

This post is a complete canard and an thinly veiled personal attack.
It appears to be part of a stalking/harassment campaign that has
nothing to do with my person or business. Though I take is as
actionable slander. I have never communicated with this individual
in any way, shape or form. I challenge to him to produce any evidence
of his ridiculous claims, (with headers) from my paid yahoo account,
. He can't - as what he claims I have
said simply never happened. I have never emailed, mailed or phoned
this person. He is lying to you. He has never been a customer of
mine, nor have I made any such comments.

I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days. I have 99.6% +
feedback lifetime on ebay with the same customer service and
policies. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed genuinely brand new, as
I purchased them directly from the publisher.

Here is real feedback from Seattle_Bookseller:

Comment From Date / Time Item #
Positive feedback rating
Books are great and delivery was fast!!!

Buyer l10driver( 182Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Mar-02-07 03:05 300040463308
Positive feedback rating
Excellent! (grandson is Very pleased)

Buyer matthewdeming( 1058Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Mar-01-07 22:30 300040607752
Positive feedback rating
thanks for the book

Buyer 55whitewolf( 33Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Mar-01-07 15:02 300040587361
Positive feedback rating
everything fine, thanks!!!

Buyer timothy-22( 470Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Mar-01-07 09:43 300040451953
Positive feedback rating
everything fine, thanks!!!

Buyer timothy-22( 470Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Mar-01-07 09:42 290063148009
Positive feedback rating
Alles bestens, prima Ware, netter Kontakt. Meine Empfehlung!

Buyer jerrelito( 1376Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Mar-01-07 07:43 300040599309
Positive feedback rating
Excellent buy, A+++

Buyer rrsant3( 28Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feb-28-07 23:54 290078199742
Positive feedback rating
Very pleased with item and transaction!

Buyer khsbrahma( 1311Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Feb-28-07 15:22 300040604778
Positive feedback rating
Great Product price and service. Thanks!

Buyer steve74( 1006Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Feb-28-07 11:50 290067625510
Positive feedback rating
thanks. might have recieved it.... ordered too many to remember

Buyer kajzoo211( 9 ) New eBay Member (less than 30 days)
Feb-28-07 10:45 300040506133
Positive feedback rating
great seller, fast!!!!!!

Buyer hardwaycooke( 708Feedback score is 500 to 999)
Feb-28-07 05:56 300060526942
Positive feedback rating
perfect deal

Buyer buynowordie( 199Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-27-07 15:56 290081129265
Positive feedback rating
Received very fast. thanks. better than expected.

Buyer granmom55( 33Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feb-27-07 15:43 290084427194
Positive feedback rating
Received very fast. thanks. Better than expeacted.

Buyer granmom55( 33Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feb-27-07 15:43 290084427195
Positive feedback rating
Very fast delivery, Item well packaged, Will buy from again, Thankyou.

Buyer mlmanier( 523Feedback score is 500 to 999)
Feb-27-07 11:24 300040461855
Positive feedback rating
A1, Highest Recommendation of Seller, Great Book, Fast Shipping.
Thanks

Buyer skullcottage( 2321Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Feb-27-07 11:17 300040567801
Positive feedback rating
Item Received, packed well thanks

Buyer vvjw( 167Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-27-07 10:20 290074598216
Positive feedback rating
Book as described, packed well, pleased with transaction.

Buyer jspiritw( 38Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feb-27-07 07:47 290063749756
Positive feedback rating
Good seller! Nice Sheet Music! Thanks so much!

Buyer palmtreelady2( 207Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-27-07 03:32 300040507192
Positive feedback rating
Nice item Thanks

Buyer shootingstar8610( 2 ) New eBay Member (less than 30 days)
Feb-26-07 23:08 290076789328
Positive feedback rating
EXCELLENT merchandise, fast fast fast response, super ebayer !!!
Rating: AAA+

Buyer muckett16( 227Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-26-07 16:45 340160069529
Positive feedback rating
Thank you! Excellent service!

Buyer corkyoddler( 22Feedback score is 10 to 49) Changed User ID
(less than 30 days)
Feb-26-07 15:33 290081857060
Positive feedback rating
pleasure to do business AAA+++Outstanding E-Bayer

Buyer galaxyzerozerozero( 1550Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Feb-25-07 14:35 290079967510
Positive feedback rating
good service

Buyer josierippey47( 107Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-25-07 14:23 300049502672
Positive feedback rating
Perfect transaction - Everything is as expected - Recommended -
Thanks!

Feedback Sco 502
Positive Feedback: 99.6%
Members who left a positive: 504
Members who left a negative: 2
All positive feedback received: 570

5 out of 5: "the book came much faster than promised"
Date: 3/1/2007 Rated by Buyer: dmau1668
5 out of 5: "Love the book, as described, super fast shipping too,
thanks!"
Date: 3/1/2007 Rated by Buyer: blahblahblah2005
5 out of 5: "great seller, fast shipping"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: ieputranto
4 out of 5: "Book was a little worse for ware then stated, but not
bad."
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: Christopher A.
5 out of 5: "book arrived as described, on time"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: combsie
5 out of 5: "Service was great"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: Yesica N.
5 out of 5: "I found it astonoshing the speed of delivery, I mean i
contacted you in USA on Tuesday and I recieved the book in the west of
ruaral Ireland on Thursday , a little over 2 days , Local post here
may take a week. Thank you."
Date: 2/27/2007 Rated by Buyer: MICHAEL L.
5 out of 5: "Swift and in good condition"
Date: 2/27/2007 Rated by Buyer: Aimee Z.
5 out of 5: "great goods,,,,,nice"
Date: 2/26/2007 Rated by Buyer: jeffery w.
4 out of 5: "the book was in good condition however I shipping took
longer than expected - with an expedited purchase."
Date: 2/26/2007 Rated by Buyer: Erica G.
5 out of 5: "arrived in perfect condition"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: lboyle37
5 out of 5: "Great working with this company!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: Amber S.
5 out of 5: "Very efficient service!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: Bradford D.
5 out of 5: "Arrived before the delivery estimate in good shape!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: magnusretail
5 out of 5: "no problems"
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer:

5 out of 5: "Shipped quickly and accurately."
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer: rdavidgross
5 out of 5: "The book came very fast and was in great condition for
the price!"
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer: Silas C.

- Amy, Seattle_Bookseller

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 03:45 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller...980-6174318?ie...

seems to support the notion that this business is best avoided.
Negative feedback is 8% in just the last month, and there have been
complaints about the condition of books being seriously misrepresented
(this was the issue that caused the fracas with this person last
time), non-delivery, delivery of less than was purchased (e.g. one
volume out of ten, ten out of twelve, etc.)

The thinly veiled attempt to slander and harm my business that started
this thread is the work of one David Shlesinger, a stalker and nutjob
from Santa Cruz, CA and a fired employee of Palmsource, Inc.
Seattle_Bookseller never contacted him in any form - not by email,
phone, post etc. He is lying. He consistently mistakes other people
for his nemesis, this "Jason Christopher Hughes" aka "Marsupial". I
would like to see him reproduce any kind of email from my business,
with headers from yahoo - which is the yahoo account I pay for,
. This communication does not exist. It
appears that the comments he references came from anonymous posts on
some blog. My amazon.com feedback is 94% + for 365 days. This is the
equal of or better than most of the large retailers on amazon.com. My
ebay feedback for the same customer base and same policies is 99.6%
positive. I do not live in or operate out of Texas. You are being
misled by a deranged and vicious con artist with a most definite ax to
grind that has nothing at all to do with books. And it has nothing to
do with myself, or Seattle_Bookseller. This thread is a slime job,
and it is part of an on going harassment/stalking attempt on the part
of Mr. Schlesinger. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed truly brand new
as I got them directly from the publisher. They have not so much as
been opened! Schlesinger never, ever bought anything from me. He has
no right to come and slander my business. Would you like to see how
incredibly childish, vile and mentally unbalanced the 59 year old
David Schelsinger is?

Here is one of his stalking websites, in all its puerile glory:

http://www.shugendo.org/marsupial/index.htm

Schlesinger maintains several of these sites, for the many people he
is criminally harassing.

Date: 3/1/2007 Rated by Buyer: dmau1668
Date: 3/1/2007 Rated by Buyer: blahblahblah2005
5 out of 5: "great seller, fast shipping"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: ieputranto
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: Christopher A.
5 out of 5: "book arrived as described, on time"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: combsie
5 out of 5: "Service was great"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: Yesica N.
Date: 2/27/2007 Rated by Buyer: MICHAEL L.
5 out of 5: "Swift and in good condition"
Date: 2/27/2007 Rated by Buyer: Aimee Z.
5 out of 5: "great goods,,,,,nice"
Date: 2/26/2007 Rated by Buyer: jeffery w.
Date: 2/26/2007 Rated by Buyer: Erica G.
5 out of 5: "arrived in perfect condition"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: lboyle37
5 out of 5: "Great working with this company!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: Amber S.
5 out of 5: "Very efficient service!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: Bradford D.
5 out of 5: "Arrived before the delivery estimate in good shape!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: magnusretail
5 out of 5: "no problems"
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer:
5 out of 5: "Shipped quickly and accurately."
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer: rdavidgross
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer: Silas C.

- Amy, Seattle_Bookseller

RWF March 2nd 07 04:43 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Mar 2, 10:45 am, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:
this thread is the work of one David Shlesinger, a stalker and nutjob
from Santa Cruz, CA and a fired employee of Palmsource, Inc.

Palmsource, eh?
I knew palmjob had to come from somewhere!

RWF March 2nd 07 04:49 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Mar 2, 10:47 am, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:
I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days.

Wouldn't that mean that 6 people out of 100 were so disatisfied with
your service that they left a negative comment?
FWIW 94%-96% is the cutoff point I use when determining if I'll buy
from an Amazon seller, so you are right on the cusp.
A seller with a lower rating than that might get my business if he
prices his item extraordinarily low but usually I'll pay a few bucks
more to buy from a seller with a high feedback %.
I'm not saying anything about you as a seller other than that 94% is
nothing to brag about.

[email protected] March 2nd 07 05:08 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Mar 2, 8:47 am, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:
I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days. I have 99.6% +
feedback lifetime on ebay with the same customer service and
policies. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed genuinely brand new, as
I purchased them directly from the publisher.

Here is real feedback from Seattle_Bookseller:

What does feedback FROM Seattle_Bookseller prove?
That you compliment your buyers?

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 06:34 PM

wrote:

I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days. I have 99.6% +
feedback lifetime on ebay with the same customer service and
policies. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed genuinely brand new, as
I purchased them directly from the publisher.

Here is real feedback from Seattle_Bookseller:

What does feedback FROM Seattle_Bookseller prove?
That you compliment your buyers?

The feedback I cut and pasted is posted in public and was left BY MY
CUSTOMERS FOR ME.
You are incorrect in your statements.

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 06:38 PM

wrote:
I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days.

Wouldn't that mean that 6 people out of 100 were so disatisfied with
your service that they left a negative comment?
FWIW 94%-96% is the cutoff point I use when determining if I'll buy
from an Amazon seller, so you are right on the cusp.
A seller with a lower rating than that might get my business if he
prices his item extraordinarily low but usually I'll pay a few bucks
more to buy from a seller with a high feedback %.
I'm not saying anything about you as a seller other than that 94% is
nothing to brag about.

No, it doesn't mean that as 3% it is 'neutral' feedback, which amazon
counts against a seller.
Amazon does not encourage mutual feedback, so it is much harder to
maintain the 99.6% I have on Ebay on amazon. This is a problem
amazon.com dealers discuss endlessly. Have you ever had a customer
slime your feedback because he didn't like the ending of a book, or
the USPS misrouted the shipment? I certainly have. Almost all my
negative feedback is caused by the USPS screwing deliveries up.

Bob F. March 2nd 07 06:50 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Mar 2, 1:38 pm, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:

No, it doesn't mean that as 3% it is 'neutral' feedback, which amazon
counts against a seller.
Amazon does not encourage mutual feedback,

Nor should it. eBay discourages forthrightness in its feedback, due to
the fear of getting "revenge" feedback.

Have you ever had a customer
slime your feedback because he didn't like the ending of a book, or
the USPS misrouted the shipment? I certainly have. Almost all my
negative feedback is caused by the USPS screwing deliveries up.

After reading your comments here, I probably would not buy from you.
Blaming the Post Office is a pretty lame excuse, ranking up the with
the homework-eating dog.
Even if the P.O. did lose a book (which has happened to me exactly
once in well over 1000 shipments over the years), as an Amazon seller
you are still responsible.
Granted there are unreasonable buyers who will never be satisfied.
But if I ordered a book from you via Amazon and never rec'd it or a
refund you can be sure that you would get negative feedback from me.
I know that Amazon doesn't share all the shipping charge with you but
you should factor shipping and insurance into the price of your
merchandise.

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 07:00 PM

wrote:

[...]

I always refund completely in these cases. You are accusing me with
no knowledge of the reality of the situation. And its not lost USPS
packages we are talking about, its SLOW ONES for the most part. I
ship around 1000 books per month, every month. USPS media mail was
horrible this holiday season, as you should be aware of. Powell's
Books, one of the largest brick and mortar (and online) retailers has
the same Amazon rating I do, 94%+. Again, I have 99.6%+ on ebay.

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 07:27 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

wrote:

[...]

The USPS loses 10-12 of every 1,000 packages I ship. I buy my
insurance through Endicia, thank you very much. Some of these are
undoubtedly customers attempting to get a free book, but I only use
delivery confirmation on items worth more than 10$. I do not agree
with your comments about ebay, and you are in the extreme minority
opinion on that matter with most online book sellers.

[email protected] March 2nd 07 07:37 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

wrote:

I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days. I have 99.6% +
feedback lifetime on ebay with the same customer service and
policies. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed genuinely brand new, as
I purchased them directly from the publisher.

Here is real feedback from Seattle_Bookseller:

What does feedback FROM Seattle_Bookseller prove?
That you compliment your buyers?

The feedback I cut and pasted is posted in public and was left BY MY
CUSTOMERS FOR ME.
You are incorrect in your statements.

That incorrect statement was yours, and I quoted it back to you.

Perhaps proofreading your posts would help get your point
across, and improve your business practices? Inattention
to detail is not a desirable trait in a bookseller.

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 07:39 PM

wrote:

I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days. I have 99.6% +
feedback lifetime on ebay with the same customer service and
policies. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed genuinely brand new, as
I purchased them directly from the publisher.

Here is real feedback from Seattle_Bookseller:

What does feedback FROM Seattle_Bookseller prove?
That you compliment your buyers?

The feedback I cut and pasted is posted in public and was left BY MY
CUSTOMERS FOR ME.
You are incorrect in your statements.

That incorrect statement was yours, and I quoted it back to you.

Perhaps proofreading your posts would help get your point
across, and improve your business practices? Inattention
to detail is not a desirable trait in a bookseller.

I don't feed trolls.

Bob F. March 2nd 07 08:07 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

Bull****!

I buy my
insurance through Endicia, thank you very much.

You're welcome very much!

Some of these are
undoubtedly customers attempting to get a free book, but I only use
delivery confirmation on items worth more than 10$.

Yep, that's it, all those big bad customers are trying to rip you off.
If you're so worried, charge a bit more for your books and get
delivery confirmation.
Oh that's right, then you wouldn't be able to blame others for your
deficiencies.

I do not agree with your comments about ebay,

I do not care what a turd like you thinks.

and you are in the extreme minority opinion on that matter with most online book sellers.

Based on your extensive research, right?

Now I know why you get so much negative feedback - you're an asshole!

[email protected] March 2nd 07 08:10 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

wrote:

I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days. I have 99.6% +
feedback lifetime on ebay with the same customer service and
policies. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed genuinely brand new, as
I purchased them directly from the publisher.

Here is real feedback from Seattle_Bookseller:

What does feedback FROM Seattle_Bookseller prove?
That you compliment your buyers?

The feedback I cut and pasted is posted in public and was left BY MY
CUSTOMERS FOR ME.
You are incorrect in your statements.

That incorrect statement was yours, and I quoted it back to you.

Perhaps proofreading your posts would help get your point
across, and improve your business practices? Inattention
to detail is not a desirable trait in a bookseller.

I don't feed trolls.

Troll = someone who points out your error?

That makes 6%, or more, of your Amazon customers trolls?

Nice to know. I'm not a troll, but I'm also no longer a potential
customer.I

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 08:12 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

Look in the mirror, Troll. I will not make a single further comment
to such a obvious and stunningly tedious Usenet Troll as yourself. Go
away now, hide under your bridge. Troll feeding station is CLOSED.

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 08:14 PM

wrote:

[...]

I most certainly do not need or want your business.

Bob F. March 2nd 07 08:25 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Mar 2, 3:12 pm, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:
Look in the mirror, Troll. I will not make a single further comment
to such a obvious and stunningly tedious Usenet Troll as yourself. Go
away now, hide under your bridge. Troll feeding station is CLOSED.

Yep, that's it. Anyone who calls you on your silly **** is a troll.
FYI I've been posting to this group for at least a decade.
Now go back to blaming the Post Office for your customers'
disatisfaction.

Bob F. March 2nd 07 08:28 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Mar 2, 3:14 pm, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:

I most certainly do not need or want your business.

If your Amazon feedback rating gets any lower you'll be paying people
to take your books off your hands.
If you want to know why your customers hate you, I suggest you examine
your attitude as demonstarted in your recent posts.

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 08:30 PM

wrote:

Look in the mirror, Troll. I will not make a single further comment
to such a obvious and stunningly tedious Usenet Troll as yourself. Go
away now, hide under your bridge. Troll feeding station is CLOSED.

Yep, that's it. Anyone who calls you on your silly **** is a troll.
FYI I've been posting to this group for at least a decade.
Now go back to blaming the Post Office for your customers'
disatisfaction.

A decade on usenet is the last thing in the universe I would brag of.
Its worse than and too often concomitant with three decades of living
in your mother's basement. But Trolls don't like the Light. I have
almost 200 books to pack and ship now - so long Troll.

seattle_bookseller March 2nd 07 08:32 PM

wrote:

I most certainly do not need or want your business.

If your Amazon feedback rating gets any lower you'll be paying people
to take your books off your hands.
If you want to know why your customers hate you, I suggest you examine
your attitude as demonstarted in your recent posts.

Gee, I still somehow have my 99.6% + on Ebay, whatever will I do? I
will go and pack up my 200 orders. Dude, I have a better rating than
POWELL'S BOOKS on amazon.

Bob F. March 2nd 07 08:36 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Mar 2, 3:30 pm, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:
A decade on usenet is the last thing in the universe I would brag of.
Its worse than and too often concomitant with three decades of living
in your mother's basement.

Hey dipstick, didn't you just get finished saying you weren't going to
respond to my posts?
You won't get far insulting the regulars of this group, most of whom
have been here as long, if not longer, than me.

But Trolls don't like the Light.

Troll = anybody who doesn't agree with you?

I have almost 200 books to pack and ship now

Yeah, sure!

- so long Troll.

Bye-bye asshole.

Bob F. March 2nd 07 08:38 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

wrote:

I most certainly do not need or want your business.

If your Amazon feedback rating gets any lower you'll be paying people
to take your books off your hands.
If you want to know why your customers hate you, I suggest you examine
your attitude as demonstarted in your recent posts.

Gee, I still somehow have my 99.6% + on Ebay, whatever will I do? I
will go and pack up my 200 orders. Dude, I have a better rating than
POWELL'S BOOKS on amazon.

DUDE?!?!?!?!
What are you, 12 years old?
No, that's an insult to 12 year olds everywhere.
I guess you're just an everyday, run-of-the-mill asshole with
delusions of grandeur!

Bob F. March 2nd 07 09:02 PM

Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

#331). I'm doing an appraisal of the current value of this book, so I
searched Bookfinder to see what was listed there.

There are several copies listed, ranging in price from a low of $204
to a high of over $500 (the latter from a Seattle brick and mortar
store for a copy with a scuff on the cover!) One of the outliers,
pricing a copy at $430, was an outfit called "seattle_bookseller". I
wrote and asked why the price was so high, and got an amazingly
vituperative and abusive response, stating that this "WAS HOW THE RARE
BOOK BUSINESS WORKED" and that I "NEED A COURSE IN REMEDIAL ECONOMICS"
and so on.

seattle_booksellers subsequent posts proved that you are telling the
absolute truth.
He's a miserable ******* (not that that's neccesarily a bad thing) and
probably would not have been out of place on the old NYC 4th Avenue
"Booksellers Row".
BTW: Here's his latest feedbacl, a bit worse then he stated
(surprise!)
Feedback 30 days 90 days 365 days Lifetime
Positive: 96% 94% 94% 93%
Neutral: 0% 0% 1% 2%
Negative: 4% 6% 4% 5%
Count: 74 176 412 721

So 5% of his 721 sales (that's 36 buyers, folks) thought his service
sucked.
And 2% thought it just so-so (14 buyers).
That's at least 50 people out of 721 who were underwhelmed by his
books and/or service.
For a guy that claims to ship "almost 200 books" a day, he sure
doesn't have many customers, esp. happy ones!