CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Any websites for U.S. Scott Numbers? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113908)

MisterMug November 27th 03 09:04 PM

Any websites for U.S. Scott Numbers?

I want to create a file on my computer containing the Scott catalog numbers for
all U.S. stamps. I don't need a price list. I'm only interested in the
descriptions.

I could go through my Brookman catalog and type it all manually, but that would
be tedious and time-consuming. I could scan each page and make a file with OCR
software, but that method is almost as tedious as typing it.

What I've been trying to find, so far without success, is a website with a
complete listing which I could download or copy/paste. I've been able to find a
few software programs, but all of them have been in Windows format, and I'm
using a Mac.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Bill Sharpe November 27th 03 11:03 PM

Go to www.pcsg.org. There are a couple of software programs mentioned there
that work on Mac computers. I believe HobbySoft may be your best bet.

You could put a list of numbers by filling a column from 1 to 4000 in a
spreadsheet, then going through the numbers to eliminate the non-Scott ones
and adding the suffixes as needed, but the hang-up is with the descriptions,
which you'd have to type in manually -- not a pleasant prospect, I agree.

Bill

Lloyd A. de Vries November 28th 03 11:51 AM

The U.S. Scott numbers for the most recent years are in the various U.S. stamp
schedules at The Virtual Stamp Club, www.VirtualStampClub.com but you'd still
have to type or cut-and-paste them into your computer.

The Scott numbers you'll find in most commercial philatelic software I'm
guessing will be in a proprietary format, and may be difficult to extract for
your own file.

I doubt you'll find any Web site that offers a file of U.S. Scott numbers such
as you seek. That's because the Scott numbering system is copyrighted by Amos
Press, which does go after those defend its copyrights -- such as offering a
complete file for free on a Web site.