CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The JPS Torah Commentary (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=319230)

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] August 20th 11 11:01 PM

The JPS Torah Commentary

Five volumes, 1989, in mint condition. Today was a very,
very good day.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Mesure is Medicine þauh þou muche ȝeor[n]e.
Al nis not good to þe gost þat þe bodi lykeþ,
Ne lyflode to þe licam þat leof is to þe soule.

William Langland, The Vision of Piers Plowman
Passus I, lines 33 - 35

J[_2_] August 21st 11 01:43 AM

The JPS Torah Commentary

Well, I didn't know what this was (apart from knowing what The Torah
is), so I googled it.

It turns out to be an immense work of Scriptural scholarship from the
Jewish Publication Society, currently out of print according to their
website. The individual volumes seem still to be available, but that
would cost even more than the $360 shown as the set price. (I assume
Francis paid less than that...)

A find, indeed.

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] August 21st 11 05:20 AM

The JPS Torah Commentary

On 8/20/2011 20:43 PM, J wrote:
Well, I didn't know what this was (apart from knowing what The Torah
is), so I googled it.

It turns out to be an immense work of Scriptural scholarship from the
Jewish Publication Society, currently out of print according to their
website. The individual volumes seem still to be available, but that
would cost even more than the $360 shown as the set price. (I assume
Francis paid less than that...)

A find, indeed.

Much less, indeed.