CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Today's Catch (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=269401)

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] March 29th 09 12:28 AM

Today's Catch

*The Origins of the Islamic State* (volume 2 only) by Ahmad
Ibn Yahya al-Baladhuri, translated into English in 1924 by
Francis Clark Murgotten. al-Baladhuri was a 9th century
Persian historian who charted the 7th century spread of
Islam. Copies in English are rare. And though I obtained
this one cheaply enough, getting volume 1 may prove a lot
more costly, especially as it was printed by a university
(Columbia) and not commercially.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra Haiku, 6

larrykoen April 11th 09 07:22 PM

Today's Catch

On Mar 28, 8:28*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:
*The Origins of the Islamic State* (volume 2 only) by Ahmad
Ibn Yahya al-Baladhuri, translated into English in 1924 by
Francis Clark Murgotten. *al-Baladhuri was a 9th century
Persian historian who charted the 7th century spread of
Islam. *Copies in English are rare. *And though I obtained
this one cheaply enough, getting volume 1 may prove a lot
more costly, especially as it was printed by a university
(Columbia) and not commercially.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra * Haiku, 6

Gorgias Press has announced plans to reprint both volumes and sell
them together for $233. See
http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP...2-volumes.aspx
for details.

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] April 18th 09 10:47 PM

Today's Catch

wrote:
*The Origins of the Islamic State* (volume 2 only) by Ahmad
Ibn Yahya al-Baladhuri, translated into English in 1924 by
Francis Clark Murgotten. al-Baladhuri was a 9th century
Persian historian who charted the 7th century spread of
Islam. Copies in English are rare. And though I obtained
this one cheaply enough, getting volume 1 may prove a lot
more costly, especially as it was printed by a university
(Columbia) and not commercially.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra Haiku, 6

Gorgias Press has announced plans to reprint both volumes and sell
them together for $233. See
http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP...2-volumes.aspx
for details.

Alas, there is truly little chance of getting the first
volume inexpensively.

larrykoen May 27th 09 12:57 AM

Today's Catch

http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP...adhuri-abu-l-a...
for details.

Alas, there is truly little chance of getting the first
volume inexpensively.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra * Haiku, 6

I found both volumes at the Internet Archive, http://www.archive.org/index.php,
and downloaded then printed the second with a copy firm. These last
were sticky about copyright but the current publisher was generous
enough to supply me with a release, albeit unneeded.

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] May 30th 09 03:16 PM

Today's Catch

wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I will check that out, especially as my missing
Volume 1 seems to be the meatier of the two.

[email protected] June 7th 09 08:17 AM

Today's Catch

wrote:

*The Origins of the Islamic State* (volume 2 only) by Ahmad
Ibn Yahya al-Baladhuri, translated into English in 1924 by
Francis Clark Murgotten. *al-Baladhuri was a 9th century
Persian historian who charted the 7th century spread of
Islam. *Copies in English are rare. *And though I obtained
this one cheaply enough, getting volume 1 may prove a lot
more costly, especially as it was printed by a university
(Columbia) and not commercially.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra * Haiku, 6

Gorgias Press has announced plans to reprint both volumes and sell
them together for $233. *Seehttp://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-55976-16-al-baladhuri-abu-l-a...
for details.