CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   USB MIcroscope - Images of fake overprints (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=320090)

Pierre COURTIADE[_6_] December 15th 11 08:55 AM

USB MIcroscope - Images of fake overprints

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote:

About one year ago (in November 2010) we discussed here the features
of the USB Microscope sold by Aldi. I remenber that somebody showed
pictures of an overprint clearly printed *over* the cancellation of
the stamp, thus clearly demonstrating that the overprint was a fake
one.

During that discussion, Toke showe us this false overprint
http://www.norbyhus.dk/artiklermm/di...r/hopflug.html
but I remember an even clearer demonstration.
May be it was in another thread ?

Would you recall something on this subject ?

Toke Nørby answers :

Could it be this posting from Tony Clayton on 3. Nov. 2010 in this
group?:
http://www.italianstamps.co.uk/trieste/istr/index.html
Mvh
Toke

Hi Toke,

Un fortunately, it is not this one. If I remember correctly, it was a
very clear image where the cancel was quite faint and the overprint very
black. Even if it was a 2D image (thanks to Sir F.A. Rien and Terry
Reedy for their inputs on 3D images) it was very clear that the
overprint was above the cancel.

--
King regards,
Pierre Courtiade

Pierre COURTIADE[_6_] December 15th 11 10:17 PM

USB MIcroscope - Images of fake overprints

Sir F. A. Rien wrote :

Another trick is to use a 20x loop and a light source coming across,
not down, on the stamp. With anything but a good cancel, you can pick
up the OP ink resting -=on- the cancel.

For GB material, only 1 in 10 is genuine !

Ah ah !!
Quite interesting :-)

May be, I have to search within my GB stamps for those with overprints
and faint cancels.

Then look at them with my USB microscope and a light source coming from
the side (if I understood correctly your explanation).

--
Kind regards,
Pierre Courtiade

Pierre COURTIADE[_6_] December 20th 11 07:19 AM

USB MIcroscope - Images of fake overprints

Sir F. A. Rien wrote :

It may help. The lightsource should be a very low angle to emphasize
the 'height' between cancel and OP.

As Most GB OP's are shiny black ink, if there's any 'shine' above the
cancel, it's suspect and neds further checking - usually witha 3D
scope or genuine OP. Differences between genuine and fake are slight
but are there for study.

I don't really bother with that as even the Royal has been fooled.
Strictly the 3D [stereo] microscope.

I've thought of trying to make an anaglyph usingthe macro feature of
a good digital camera. Camera on stand, shift the stamp 2 mm [more?
less?] for the second exposure. Haven't clue if that would show
enough!

Thank you for this additional information.
Nise idea, the anaglyph !

--
All the best,
Pierre