CollectingBanter

-   Pens & Pencils (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Apple wood for pens etc. (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=267873)

Adrian Lawrie[_2_] March 5th 09 07:10 PM

Apple wood for pens etc.

Is apple wood any use for making pens etc?

To reply reverse the letters before the @

The Visitor March 5th 09 08:15 PM

Apple wood for pens etc.

I make pens.
I put apple in my smoker.
Never thought about it for a pen.
To light and soft.
You have better have it dryed out and stable.

I prefer darker colours.
Neet grains and burls.
And yes, I am using some of the fancy plastics now too.

if it looks good as a blank, why not try it?

John

Al[_6_] May 2nd 09 09:06 PM

Apple wood for pens etc.

Apple is a GREAT wood for pens!!! Almost all of the fruit woods turn nice,
have great figure, and make nice pens. I've got some apple blanks sitting
here ready to go.

Al

[email protected] May 9th 09 06:30 PM

Apple wood for pens etc.

Is apple wood any use for making pens etc?

Hi Adrian,

Check out the new forum on www.fountainpennetwork.com dedicated to pen
turning and custom manufacturing. We've got a broad range of pen
makers on there, from novice to experts, who can surely answer your
question. As always, registration is free and allows you unlimited
posting.

Hope to see you there!

Eddie Munster May 9th 09 10:36 PM

Apple wood for pens etc.

And don't forget to check out rec.crafts.woodturning

Like a lot of groups, it looks quiet, until you ask a question.
Lots of expert help and fast responses.

John