CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The end of the Golden Dollar? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29885)

Jim December 6th 03 11:33 PM

Vector adds....

According to YOU.

Did we ever establish who you are? Are you a Fred groupie or one of those
Schred/Shredh/Shredddd variants?

Anyways, if you really want to save the planet, explore the environmental
differences between a renewable resource like trees (paper money) versus
strip/shaft mining for metal ore (you know, the stuff your coins are made of?)

Always here for my fellow syngraphist or oenophile.
--=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=--

RR December 7th 03 01:15 AM

Here's my suggested replacement for the Golden Dollar...

http://home.alltel.net/randyric/coins/GoldenDollar.jpg

Vector December 7th 03 01:54 AM

On 06 Dec 2003 23:33:58 GMT, rosit (Jim) wrote:

Vector
adds....

According to YOU.

Did we ever establish who you are? Are you a Fred groupie or one of those
Schred/Shredh/Shredddd variants?

Anyways, if you really want to save the planet, explore the environmental
differences between a renewable resource like trees (paper money) versus
strip/shaft mining for metal ore (you know, the stuff your coins are made of?)

I have nothing to do with that Shred person, and I had been hanging
out here for a few weeks before he stepped in the door.

I can pull some random quarters out of my pocket and have a good
chance of finding one that is at least three decades old .. common
sense dictates that it would take many paper notes to cover that
period of time.

BTW, do you refer to wheat as a renewable resource as well? My point
is, tree farms are not forests ... they are a crop. Whatever occupied
the tree farm previously is destroyed just as assuredly as if it had a
shopping mall built on it.

(Just emptied my pocket, found a South Carolina D pretty enough to
keep, and a 1974-D. Barring accident, that quarter has at least a
couple decades left on it.

Michael G. Koerner December 7th 03 02:39 AM

Vector wrote:

On 06 Dec 2003 23:00:43 GMT, rosit (Jim) wrote:

"Those" are the real numbers.

According to YOU.

"But nobody uses them."

"Did you just call me a 'nobody'?"

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Vector December 7th 03 02:54 AM

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 20:39:24 -0600, "Michael G. Koerner"
wrote:

Vector wrote:

On 06 Dec 2003 23:00:43 GMT, rosit (Jim) wrote:

"Those" are the real numbers.

According to YOU.

"But nobody uses them."

"Did you just call me a 'nobody'?"

I don't know who said "But nobody uses them." But, it obviously was
not ME.

George D December 7th 03 03:36 AM

Mike wrote:
If anyone want dollar coins, all you have to do is go to the local post
office and put 5, 10, or 20 dollars (currency) into the stamp machine, and
they will give you a whole pocketful of nice new dollars. (At least where I
live) I like to stop in once a month and get 20 dollars worth, minus stamp
price of course, and circulate them.
WHEN, will the manufacturers of vending machines figure out that it is so
much easier to use dollar coins than it is to fool around trying to feed a
crumpled one dollar bill into a vending machine!

I put in $20.01 and get one .01 stamp and get a full $20.00 in change. However the last
time I did this I got a mixed bag of SBA and GDs.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

George D December 7th 03 03:40 AM

RR wrote:
Here's my suggested replacement for the Golden Dollar...

http://home.alltel.net/randyric/coins/GoldenDollar.jpg

I like the design I don't like the idea of changing the Sac. The design is not the
problem. The problem is the chicken and egg syndrome, you can't get GDs you can't find any
place to spend them. Over and over again....

Bob Peterson December 7th 03 03:43 AM

"George D" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
If anyone want dollar coins, all you have to do is go to the local post
office and put 5, 10, or 20 dollars (currency) into the stamp machine,

and
they will give you a whole pocketful of nice new dollars. (At least

where I
live) I like to stop in once a month and get 20 dollars worth, minus

stamp
price of course, and circulate them.
WHEN, will the manufacturers of vending machines figure out that it is

so
much easier to use dollar coins than it is to fool around trying to feed

crumpled one dollar bill into a vending machine!

I put in $20.01 and get one .01 stamp and get a full $20.00 in change.

However the last
time I did this I got a mixed bag of SBA and GDs.

if your purpose is to spread the gospel of using $1 coins what difference
does it make if its an SBA or a brass buck?

Andrew W Applegarth December 7th 03 03:56 AM

George D wrote in
:

Mike wrote:
If anyone want dollar coins, all you have to do is go to the local
post office and put 5, 10, or 20 dollars (currency) into the stamp
machine, and they will give you a whole pocketful of nice new
dollars. (At least where I live) I like to stop in once a month and
get 20 dollars worth, minus stamp price of course, and circulate
them.
WHEN, will the manufacturers of vending machines figure out that it
is so much easier to use dollar coins than it is to fool around
trying to feed a crumpled one dollar bill into a vending machine!

I put in $20.01 and get one .01 stamp and get a full $20.00 in change.
However the last time I did this I got a mixed bag of SBA and GDs.

Pardon me for pointing this out, but I think that it's hilarious to
suggest feeding bills into a vending machine just to get GDs so that you
don't have to feed bills into vending machines...

- Andrew W Applegarth

Jim December 7th 03 04:59 AM

Vector adds...

I have nothing to do with that Shred person

Sez you.....

I can pull some random quarters out of my pocket and have a good chance of

finding one that is at least three decades old

And that quarter has been circulating for 30 years and not residing quietly in
someones coffee can? Again, sez who? You? Or is your point simply that metal is
more durable than paper...Doh.

BTW, do you refer to wheat as a renewable resource as well?

No Shred Man, I don't and neither should you. The etymology of "renewable
resource" is probably as new as your 30 y/o quarter and is typically used in an
environmental reference. And as far as a tree farm not being a forest, that's
as absurd as a cemetary not being a graveyard. You know, the resting place of
that almightiest of renewable resources? Go read a book on modern forestry and
selective logging before you open that yap again.

But first respond here as to how you seed new metal ore for future generations.
Or how you heal hundreds of thousands of acres of stripped geography plowed
miles deep.

Barring accident, that quarter has at least a couple decades left on it.

Yeah. Give it to Consumers Union and tell them to simulate 10 more years of
daily circulation and let us all know how recognizable the pinpoint cull is
when they return it in a tweezer.