CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Scott v Gibbons (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=187592)

Alan September 21st 06 02:19 AM

Scott v Gibbons

I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Arthur September 21st 06 01:47 PM

Scott v Gibbons

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:19:09 GMT, Alan wrote:

I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Gibbons actually list the worldwide dealers whose lists they use to make up
their farcical prices.

I dare say Scott do the same.

I've never seen a Scott catalogue so I wonder: are their prices are as wide of
the mark as Gibbons'?

A.J Todd September 21st 06 02:19 PM

Scott v Gibbons

The message
from (Arthur) contains these words:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:19:09 GMT, Alan wrote:

I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Gibbons actually list the worldwide dealers whose lists they use to make up
their farcical prices.

**** Glad you said that, can't see how they get them, when they are
around 4 times ebay?????

tt

Bill Sharpe September 21st 06 04:59 PM

Scott v Gibbons

Alan wrote:
I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Gibbons deals in stamps; Scott doesn't.

For information about how Scott determines pricing, go to
http://www.scottonline.com/NewsandNotes/NN_howto.asp
and scroll down to "Catalogue values."

Bill

Richard Mateles September 21st 06 05:43 PM

Scott v Gibbons

Scott devotes everal pages in their U.S. Specialized Catalogue introduction
to illustration of the various grades of centering and to the factors that
need to be considered in pricing, e.g., defects, hinges. Whether one agrees
with their pricing or not, the basis is pretty well covered.

As to what sellers claim to be the grade, that's another story!

Rich Mateles

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:47:47 GMT, (Arthur) found
these
unused words floating about:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:19:09 GMT, Alan wrote:

I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Gibbons actually list the worldwide dealers whose lists they use to make
up
their farcical prices.

I dare say Scott do the same.

I've never seen a Scott catalogue so I wonder: are their prices are as
wide of
the mark as Gibbons'?

Considering that Scutt has gone to pricing only VF copies (two grades
above
the 'normal' stuff found in dealer's shops in reality), yep !!!

Unfortunately, they also do not show what makes a specified condition, so
the general user hasn't a clue how to buy a good, fine or better copy.
I've
seen many Scutt dealers selling off centre, pulled perfs, etc. as VF and
then offer 20% off Scutt. Whoo-pee!

Bill Sharpe September 21st 06 11:26 PM

Scott v Gibbons

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Gibbons also has a financial interest in keeping prices moving up, scutt
just throws darts IMHO.

Scutt?
Most of those darts land at 20 cents...

Bill

ian-b September 22nd 06 07:21 PM

Scott v Gibbons

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Gibbons also has a financial interest in keeping prices moving up, scutt
just throws darts IMHO.

A real price list (US) would be Brookman, for the UK ???

The Stoneham catalogue, recently republished, purports to show market
prices and lists the dealers that have contributed info and knowledge.

Stoneham retails at £16 compared with £24 for SG's Concise, and has
actual new scans of all the stamps, including all the Machins so that
colours can be seen. The numbering is different, of course, and the
organisation of the catalogue takes some getting used to, but it is a
good cat. One dealer I know has sold 3 boxes at fairs, that's about 60
copies.

--
Ian Billings
Norvic Philatelics APS#207617 ATA#54619

ian-b September 23rd 06 07:47 PM

Scott v Gibbons

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Stoneham's been around since 1978 ... 9th ed. was 1988, so the '78 was
probably the first they made.

Yes, I have had two earlier editions. The latest is the
13th.

Until they pooched the pup and 'renumbered', I'd indexed my inventory by
their numbers as they had separate numbers for plates and major differences.

The latest version is published by the Machin Collectors Club
in Norfolk, England, and they have just announced the 'Simplified'
pocket-size at only £5.95, on sale from October 15 - see
http://www.machins.org/