CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Planchet Quality (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=324004)

george pearl August 2nd 17 05:14 AM

Planchet Quality

I bought a MS68 Indiana quarter on ebay
to have an example of what such a grade
would look like.

I noticed that the coin
had mirrored fields and I was wondering if
the Mint specially prepared the planchets
in order to achieve such quality-maybe
polishing the planchets prior to striking.

I've never found a MS68 coin in circulation,
and I've looked thru tens of thousands of coins.
My best finds are MS65 and maybe a MS66. The
problem seems to be finding coins that have
adequate striking pressure. Not an easy thing.

So I'm asking if business strike coins are the
way they are due to a lack of planchet preparation.